Hotfix integration

jeromerocks

Hi all,

I have created an unattended xp sp3 setup. But I need help. I want to integrate a hotfix into the unattended setup such that the unattended setup will prompt you whether you want to install that hotfix. Any idea how to get this done?

I know it becomes "attended" now, but the hotfix I intend to install was built by me and won't work on all computers.

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by jeromerocks

Common sense solution: Create two CD's? What's the price of CD-R these days (especially if you buy a 50/100 pack)? 5 cents? 10 cents?

Just burn two copies. Copy A (integrated version) Copy B (non-integrated version)

Or, you can create a batch file that prompts you at first startup whether or not to silently install the hotfix. But, technically, that's not integrated into the source, more like an add-on.

Regardless of the fact that the hotfix he wants to install is integrated or is an addon, it has nothing to do with his question, he is asking what you have already stated "create a batch file that prompts you at first startup whether or not to silently install" so how about giving him some "technical"details how to accomplish this ??

Common sense solution: Create two CD's? What's the price of CD-R these days (especially if you buy a 50/100 pack)? 5 cents? 10 cents?

Just burn two copies. Copy A (integrated version) Copy B (non-integrated version)

Yes, a little kid would know that too, but what's the point of carrying around 2 cds when there is a perfect solution to combine both into 1?

Good idea about the batch file, I'll try it out and post the results in a moment.

Regardless of the fact that the hotfix he wants to install is integrated or is an addon

You're wrong, he did ask for it to be integrated. I was at least being forthcoming and saying that installing the hotfix upon first startup is not technically being properly integrated into the source as jeromerocks originally requested:

I want to integrate a hotfix into the unattended setup (his exact words)

(Keep It Simple Stupid) Sometimes, the best solution is to avoid fancy, schmancy batch scripts, etc etc and just burn two versions, that is one option. If you want to spend the time to create the script, tweak it, tweak it some more, test it on many systems, then be my guest, that's also another option. I was offering a pseudo-code approach to the problem. True, I wasn't giving you an exact recipe of how to do it but I figured it'd at least give you something to consider.

Others can chime in with their opinions or thoughts, I'm merely one person who offered ideas while not chastising others for trying.

Resources:

Batch Scripting