[fixed] USB_Multiboot reports Drive NOT Ready

abbetaka

I'm trying to use USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd to put my nLite'd XP install files on a USB thumbdrive and make it bootable. However, I can't persuade it to actually copy files to my USB drive. When I choose '2) Give USB-Drive Target, currently []' and select the E: drive, I receive the following error:

C:\USB\USB_MultiBoot_10\u_script\MSg_DriveReady.vbs(5, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Scripting.FileSystem.Object'

***** Drive NOT Ready - First Format Disk with PeToUSB.exe *****

It does appear to change the value to E:, but I receive the same error as above if I choose '3) Make MultiBoot and Copy Sources to USB-Drive'.

I get this error regardless of which method I choose for formatting the drive -- I've tried PeToUSB.exe (options 'Enable Disk Format' and 'Enable LBA (FAT16)' ticked) and the HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility (Filesystem NTFS, no options ticked), both w/the default Disk Label 'U2G_X806'. Both appear to recognize & format my drive (Kingston DataTraveler2.0 USB Device 1998Mb [E:\]) without complaint.

I reviewed USB_MultiBoot10.cmd's logfile (usb_log.txt) from my most recent run, but apart from the help/usage messages, it only shows these three lines:

Program - USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd - 06 June 2008 - Date = Thu 09/11/2008 11:53:10

PeToUSB.exe was launched to FORMAT USB-Drive

End Program - USB_MultiBoot.CMD will be Closed - Date = Thu 09/11/2008 12:08:50

I'm running this on an XP SP2 box, which seems to be working fine otherwise; I don't get lots of vbs errors, but then I'm not aware of running much VBScript typically. I'm able to view the USB drive with Windows Explorer and I've been able to copy stuff to-and-from it previously, so I suspect it's not actually a problem with the media. (I've been wrong before, though...)

Is this familiar to anyone? Any brilliant suggestions? Software to verify is up-to-date? My next step is to try another USB stick and see if that makes a diff, but I don't suspect it will. Clearly, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Edited by abbetaka

Your problem is clearly the VBS Scripts, but luckily for you the Program can run without using these scripts.

Therefore you have to disable individual scripts by

Renaming e.g. USB_MultiBoot_10\u_script\MSg_DriveReady.vbs as NO_MSg_DriveReady.vbs

For DriveReady script we use in fact the ASP Drive script

http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_ref_drive.asp

So it might be that only the ASP scripts are giving the trouble.

If you have may VBS problems then you can knock-out all VBS scripts by e.g.

Renaming USB_MultiBoot_10\u_script folder as USB_MultiBoot_10\NO_u_script

Edit: I see you have downloaded already Windows Script Host to solve the problem, OK.

Edited by wimb