RegTweaks 0.4.2

I've written a number of more advanced batch files, some of which I've spent many hours troubleshooting with very little help from the net and it sure is frustrating.

The difference between batches and regs is that one is a script that's run and the other is more like a config file that's read.

I recognize what you say about typos, many people can read a text and still don't find anything wrong. You just have to be more thorough than all of them!

I've got a 200+ kB regfile and I'm sure there are very few typos (if any!) in it, but on the other hand I am very thorough...

You're correct on the reg file structure. Also make sure there are brackets on each side of the keys (missing brackets may happen when copy-pasting), if any of the keys doesn't have one at the end you should take a closer look at it to determine if that's the only part missing.

I'm sure you already know where to use " " and where not to.

Another kind of "bad entries" are those that have incorrect (or old Windows version-specific) values or data, in most cases those have no effect whatsoever and just fills up the file and the registry with useless data.

Yeah, the obsolete entries are the worst. I've already invested several hours going through an unmodified XPSP2 + IE7 install regdump, and comparing it side-by-side with my old IE6 tweaks to clean them up. There's a ton of changes. Typical Microsoft, they didn't catch and remove all the IE6 entries that have IE7 replacements. :/ But what bugs me the most is the endless variation in how MS handles regsettings. Like:

[HKCR/Blah/Foo/Bar]

"AllowSetting1"="1"

"DontAllowSetting1"="0"

"AllowSetting2"="yes"

"DontAllowSetting2"="no"

Pick ONE method and stay with it! :) And most of all, where changing a setting requires adding a nonexistant key while also deleting a completely different key/value altogether. Without a monitoring tool, the average person would have no way of ever figuring out what to do. :)

Kel

My previous post got me thinking about the obsoleted XPSP2 IE6 registry keys. I haven't been able to find a similar list, so I'm going to manually compare clean IE6 and IE7 branches for what's overwritten sometime this weekend. Would any of you guys like me to post the list here?

Kel

• 4 weeks later...

awesome collection, would be great if someone could make those into a program that you can select ones that you want and it spits out a reg file. i took me forever to delete/comment out the tweaks i didnt want

• 3 weeks later...

What is the registry key to optimize WMP full-screen behaviour? You know, the one that reduce the playback controls timeout. I think this tweak is available in nLite under 'Tweaks' as "Optimize Full-screen Playback".

Thanks.

Just to explain my absense during the last months:

I moved recently. On the new apartment i had to wait to get an internet connection for a long time. Finally the internet company installed their equipment, and now i have my radio (ugh!) connection back.

I read the replies on this topic, and gonna make some updates on the reg files, and so on myself to keep up with what is going on since i stoped visiting msfn. And i think that maybe just about time to start compiling and hardly testing some Vista tweaks, since i noticed that lts of ppl are now using it.

Anyways, just to let you guys know that did not abandoned the project, and my intent is to do a new release very soon.

Thanks to all the ones that help (specially camarade and DL. helping to solve problems and doubts of other users in the topic.)

Manage to find the tweak for my previous question.

;Optimize WMP fullscreen mode behaviour
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"ClipFullScreen"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_ControlsTimeout"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_CursorTimeout"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_MoveSpeed"=hex:00,00,c8,42
"ShowControlsOnEveryMouseMove"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"ClipFullScreen"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_ControlsTimeout"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_CursorTimeout"=dword:00000001
"FSControls_MoveSpeed"=hex:00,00,c8,42
"ShowControlsOnEveryMouseMove"=dword:00000000

Edited by Outcast

Hey Gugutz, :)

Just a few words about our old dilemna between .reg and .inf files: some internationalization (mainly contextual menu) is needed and afaik, only .inf can provide this. There are some converters available and especially Ref2Inf by n7Epsilon.

I'm currently still working at school but holidays are nearing and I really feel like playing with this. ;)

@Camarade_Tux, about the .reg vs .inf dilemma:

In all honesty, can you actually say there are plenty of times when internationalization is needed?

There are a few, but not enough to validate a full switch in my opinion. In those (rare) cases when it's needed it can easily be used.

Some advantages of .reg compared to .inf:

-Easier to read and less additional useless numbers.

-More of a standard (registry exports and most tweaks found on the web are in that format).

@gugutz: Thanks for recognizing my small contributions.

Doing a similar thing for Vista would be nice, but in a new thread to separate it from this one for XP (but many tweaks are valid for 2k/2k3 too).

Since no one else has responded to these guys, it's about time I do:

@rickytheanuj: It's in the file, or you can easily find it by searching the web.

@Brando569: There is a program like that, check out RegTweakage.NET.

Picking out tweaks from a single file is not very time consuming when compared to finding out most of those yourself one by one (before there were large tweak collections like this one).

In the past I wrote there was no necessity for .inf files. Then I saw some parts of my interface in English and the difference is really ugly.

I still prefer reg files since as you said they are easier to read (less characters and less cryptic) and maintain. Moreover fast everyone knows what to do with reg files (if not the first thing to try is to double-click on it).

However it is not easy to have internationalization. I think we should move all localizable entries into a .inf file, or at least a .reg file. I've tried have my reg files localized and it was not that funny. :/

Btw, I'll probably make an app to update to newer versions of this collection while keeping personnal values. :)

(needed by me at least :P )

I didn't mean it would be easy to have internationalization, but using separate files in those cases only would be easier than doing a full switch.

There aren't exactly that many (if any at all!) new and previously unknown tweaks added, so building a personal tweak file and sticking to it will work without using any additional program. It's good to have a complete collection though, in case oneself or someone else need a specific tweak.

There aren't exactly that many (if any at all!) new and previously unknown tweaks added, so building a personal tweak file and sticking to it will work without using any additional program. It's good to have a complete collection though, in case oneself or someone else need a specific tweak.

But there may be some fixes. Moreover if it has no use for XP tweaks, it may have some for Vista. ;)

After a large number of tweak threads and revisions there shouldn't be any need for fixes when it comes to XP-tweaks (well, maybe for new versions of IE/WMP or other closely related Windows progs).

For Vista there may be some use for this, at least until most tweaks has been found and thoroughly tested.