Net use error when connecting between XP domain and Vista workgroup

chaff2001

I'm trying to connect a XP SP3 laptop (that is on a domain when I go into the office) to a home desktop PC running Vista SP1 with workgroup (ON: Net discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing, password protected sharing, OFF:printer & media sharing). I've been using the following net use command:

net use * \\ip.address /user:domain\account_name

It worked, sorta. I did it numerous times and once or twice it worked (haven't changed anything else). But more often than not it's not working and spits out the error:

System error 64 has occurred.

The specified network name is no longer available.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or how I can fix it. I'm not aware of any firewall s/w on the laptop (unless work is installing it via login script and it's hidden).

what resources are you trying to use?

I use my laptop wich runs xp sp3 to access network shares on vista x64 sp1

command that i generaly use is

net use u: \\hostname\share /savecred /persistent:yes

(U can be any letter that you want to map the drive to)

this then asks for the machine login details and keeps the drive mapping when not on my local network.

as for the command you where running i sugest you clear what ever you entered (shoud be the command net use * /delete)

Edited by browney595

what resources are you trying to use?

I use my laptop wich runs xp sp3 to access network shares on vista x64 sp1

command that i generaly use is

net use u: \\hostname\share /savecred /persistent:yes

(U can be any letter that you want to map the drive to)

this then asks for the machine login details and keeps the drive mapping when not on my local network.

as for the command you where running i sugest you clear what ever you entered (shoud be the command net use * /delete)

I'm trying the access the SP3 box from the Vista box, hence I'm calling the net use command from the Vista box.

I tried the command you provided above, and it fails with the same error #64 that I had previously. Any other suggestions?

If you are using an IP address, and it gives you this message, it means your computer is not able to connect to the host. Basically it isn't really worded that way, but it basically can't resolve the path.

Ideas:

1. The IP Address on the PC has changed.

2. Make sure you added the NOTEBOOK_COMPUTERNAME\USER account to the Everyone (or Administrators or whatever) group on the Home PC.

3. When you log on to the notebook as local, is it still joined to the domain or is it set for workgroup.

If you are using an IP address, and it gives you this message, it means your computer is not able to connect to the host. Basically it isn't really worded that way, but it basically can't resolve the path.

Ideas:

1. The IP Address on the PC has changed.

2. Make sure you added the NOTEBOOK_COMPUTERNAMEUSER account to the Everyone (or Administrators or whatever) group on the Home PC.

3. When you log on to the notebook as local, is it still joined to the domain or is it set for workgroup.

Thanks for the response, see answers below:

1. IP address is static and I can ping the machine
  2. I can't add the Notebook (Domain) to the Desktop (Workgroup) as the desktop can't find the Notebook in the locations.
  3. I logged onto the notebook as local, and got the same error (64) and then when I tried it immediately after that I got error 59 and each time I tried again it kept giving me error 59. Weird.