Is Office XP really an upgrade to 2000 till what's next?

buck614

Is it just me, or is Office 2000 better than XP? I have a friend that has XP and he says it looks cleaner and sleaker but is not really all that big. Think about it, Office 2000 comes on 2 Disks. Office XP is about half a disk. Many people have suggested that XP was an intermediary step until the next new big thing comes out. Kinda of like Windows ME was. Windows ME was something to sell between Windows 98 and Windows 2000. So it has frontpage...is thatit? What does XP really offer that 2000 doesn't?

Is it just me, or is Office 2000 better than XP? I have a friend that has XP and he says it looks cleaner and sleaker but is not really all that big. Think about it, Office 2000 comes on 2 Disks. Office XP is about half a disk. Many people have suggested that XP was an intermediary step until the next new big thing comes out. Kinda of like Windows ME was. Windows ME was something to sell between Windows 98 and Windows 2000. So it has frontpage...is thatit? What does XP really offer that 2000 doesn't? [/quote:eca4f547db]

I think XP offers some new features like smart tags( really useful) , multiple email accounts in outlook.. that's all i know from the top of my head for right now :)

I think most of the changes that have taken place between 2000 and XP are behind-the-scenes. They originally had it in to put those tags in Windows XP but after vendors pitched a fit, they removed them. XP is very good but I honestly haven't noticed a performance difference between the two, plus there's the annoying WPA in XP. I wouldn't make the upgrade if I had 2000.

Rick:cool:

the document recovery feature. I had written a 3 page document for work, and my system crashed while I was trying to save it. XP helped me recover the document and save it again after I restarted the PC. It is worth it in terms of security of knowing your documents will be saved in the event of a failure, I don't know if 2K had that feature or not. To be honest it has been about a year since I used 2k.

Another goodie that I like is the fairly seamless integration between all of the office productes, access, excel, pp, etc... They go good together.

Additionally XP has the voice crap, though it's far from perfect, they are on the right track by including it.

Big Booger

plus there's the annoying WPA in XP. I wouldn't make the upgrade if I had 2000.

Rick:cool: [/quote:2c31dfc9ed]

I have Office 2000 and XP and both have WPA in them, well at least my Office 2000 has it, not sure about you guys.

-XPerties

It depends on what u use Office XP for....I tend to use Frontpage and Excel, Powerpoint more then I would use Word. And the 2002 version of these particular programs are way better then the previous 2000 versions. They seem to offer alot more functionality although the general user interface is similar.