Oh deer! I can't disable the Windows Defender service

RJARRRPCGP

Windows Vista now seems faster after emptying the Prefetch folder and letting Windows recreate them, just like with Windows XP.

Oh man, that old placebo..... :P

No, the trick is once Windows has recreated the prefetch files, leave them be afterwards.

It's NOT a placebo. After you're done configuring, empty the prefetch folder and then reboot to have Windows recreate the prefetch files.

A fast system doesnt need the prefetch crap. System reads these files and checks for them prefetch files that tells system howto load the program, right, that sounds like process will be faster. I have yet to read a single good reason for using prefetch versus having it totally disabled.

Edited by TranceEnergy

A fast system doesnt need the prefetch crap. System reads these files and checks for them prefetch files that tells system howto load the program, right, that sounds like process will be faster. I have yet to read a single good reason for using prefetch versus having it totally disabled.

It helps with all systems, at least with less than a Raptor.

For me, the HDD will crank more without the prefetching.

Are all you're gonna do is bash prefetch? I didn't post to get crapped on. :realmad:

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Windows Vista now seems faster after emptying the Prefetch folder and letting Windows recreate them, just like with Windows XP.

Oh man, that old placebo..... :P

No, the trick is once Windows has recreated the prefetch files, leave them be afterwards.

It's NOT a placebo.

and your proof is...?

Um... Then you don't read/google enough I'd say. I am not saying it increases performance in any dramatic way, but it doesn't decrease it a single bit at worst! So I wouldn't use any comments about it being a crap. If you don't like it, simply leave it be. It doesn't do you any harm. And you don't know how Windows work on the inside anyway, so...

It's amazing what theories people came out with over time :P

Prefetch is designed to be a list of binaries that individual applications will be requesting (immediately, or very shortly) after they are launched - by using these tiny files the OS can order its disk reads and have the files in memory before they are requested, removing latency from the application launch.

(Superfetch is a further improvement that looks at what applications you typically launch, and prefetches the necessary files before the icon is even double-clicked.)

So I would doubt removing prefetch files or disabling Superfetch could improve performance, but possibly the opposite.

Superfetch only uses idle time to do its lower priority I/O, so even if it reads parts of files into cache and does not use them, it's not impacting user experience or delaying system services that want to use the disk.

As for a community source (hence independent from Microsoft) regarding the prefetcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefetcher

A second myth is that the user should delete the prefetch folder contents to speed up the computer. If this is done, Windows will need to re-create all the prefetch files again, thereby slowing down Windows during boot and program starts until the prefetch files are created.

A second myth is that the user should delete the prefetch folder contents to speed up the computer. If this is done, Windows will need to re-create all the prefetch files again, thereby slowing down Windows during boot and program starts until the prefetch files are created.

But, if you keep rebooting after emptying the prefetch folder, you should find that the booting is faster!

*It takes at least a couple of reboots to notice.*

But, if you keep rebooting after emptying the prefetch folder, you should find that the booting is faster!

*It takes at least a couple of reboots to notice.*

**** placebo all over the place!! :D

What was it Richelieu said? "A lie need only be repeated asufficient number of times in order for it to be believed" :)