How long does it take to start WinXP

jumpjack

How long does it take to start WinXP?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it take to start WinXP?

• up to 30 secs
    • 30-60 sec
    • 2 mins
    • 3 mins
    • 4 mins
    • >5 mins

It would be really hard to compare everyones startup times, simply because of the different applications people have loading up. I have my settings so that boot is a quick as possible. and it can take upto 40secs sometimes. I have sipgate come on at startup, two sound card applications, Wireless card application and DU meter. I have the Windows Classic theme for less RAM usage and that little more extra performance, and the installation is only 4 days old.

• 1 month later...

my laptop Toshiba M30... with 256MB... just installed SP3 for Windows XP HOME it take about 3-4 minutes to load... then i put another 1GB on and disable the page file... and now it take only 1-1,5minutes to load and ready to use...

ah anyway i have Avira PE, COMODO Firewall, OpenOffice.org 3.0 Quick Start that run autoamticaly on windows startup...

Boot takes here 35 seconds on 2 years old Dell dual core laptop (2,16Ghz), running 20 services inclusive Nvidia driver and AVG antivirus. Pretty fast I think, but always using standby, what takes no more then 3 seconds...

somewhere around 3-4 mins from the time I push the power button until the hard drive spins down after desktop is fully loaded. this is on a 3 "old" 3.4p4 dell :(

but maybe a clean install after 2 years of use would speed that up.

• 5 months later...

Takes me about 40 seconds from hitting the switch to the loaded desktop and tray icons (all 2+the icon for volume control). I have a moderately nLited system (mainly tweaks and OS features removed, not a huge amount of startup items have been disabled just the very unnecessary ones) and the NVIDIA+AVG Free icon are the only ones in the tray. It takes about 15 seconds to get from hitting the switch to the windows xp loading bar (because of slow POST...) so the OS takes well under 30secs which I am happy with. Shutdown is under 10secs (a lot of people have that sound that plays when you log off/shut down, but if you disable that it cuts shutdown time by a good amount).

Edited by Zenskas

Hi guys

Just want to share about my laptop.

Dell Latitude D620

Windows XP SP2

cpu: Intel T2400 @ 1.83GHz Duo Core

hard drive:Hitachi HTS721080G9SA00

ram:1024mg 667MHz

video:Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family

network: Broadcon NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

I have it on a docking station.

Parallel printer(HP LaserJet 1100), usb external HD (320gig),

monitor(Acer al1916), tv(rca 32"), mouse/keyboard(Logitech)

Dell doesextremely at throwing the ball to Mirosoft.

When XP takes over, well Microsoft didn't fall short by much.

Next is a solid state drive

Nothing big 32 gig 64 maby

Edited by atycki

It takes approximately 15-16 seconds from power-on to usable desktop as a Hyper-V VM - it's a single processor 512MB machine, and it has no A/V or any other driver than hardware drivers for the virtual hardware. It's used for running VS 2008 off network, so no domain login either.