MS Visual C++ Library error in Director Player

GordonInc

I don't know what caused my problem with application Lær Dansk 1 which is Director Player application and appears not to work anymore.

It's multimedia application to learn language by pictures and sounds.

After click on the picture I get following error messages and application closes:

Error:

"A Fatal Error has occurred. Click OK to quit."

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:

"Runtime Error!

Program /here path to exe file/

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information"

I cannot find any logs. In application folder, ether system logs.

Operating system was installed quite not long ago. It's Windows XP Professional. Problem occurred also on previous installation.

OS has turned on Automatic Updates and installed Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library 2005 SP1. I tried 2008 version, also.

I installed the newest Macromedia Shockwave from Adobe

Where to search for solution? How to bite it? Any suggestions, please?

Dear Jeremy: Application is not installed. I just run it.

Dear DigeratiPrime: I tried both of the packages.

Dear GrofLuigi: I read link you gave me. I downloaded also Process Monitor. Unfortunately I still don't know how to interpret it. In attachment there is a log filtered by process name. It covers time just before the error until exit of application. I tried to remove 'msctfime.ime', but it didn't help. Also reinstallation of audio driver from producer web page didn't change situation. I don't know how to use data from application. Can you help me please somehow?

Logfile3.zip

these two lines in the log suggest the problem is your system does not have audio drivers installed:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{a7c7a5b1-5af3-11d1-9ced-00a024bf0407}\Default NAME NOT FOUND

which is the "Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device"

and

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_17C02017&REV_1005\4&2f67b58f&0&0001\Driver NAME NOT FOUND

which is the "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio"

you can probably find the drivers for it in the Driverpack.net Sound B package.

http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/DriverPack.php?pag=sb

Also depending on what version of XP you are running you might need a hotfix for HD Audio. XP SP3 doesnt need this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

I downloaded also Process Monitor. Unfortunately I still don't know how to interpret it. In attachment there is a log filtered by process name. It covers time just before the error until exit of application. I tried to remove 'msctfime.ime', but it didn't help. Also reinstallation of audio driver from producer web page didn't change situation. I don't know how to use data from application. Can you help me please somehow?

You did fine. From what I see, language bar is interfering. Here's my advice:

Don't touch msctfime.ime. Disable the language bar at least temporarily. If you need it, you can turn it back on later by reversing the procedure. (If you follow that guide, you need also to check "Turn off advanced text services". Reboot. If you need the language bar, you can turn it back on later by reversing the procedure.

Or, if you prefer link from Microsoft, here it is: Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe. (msimtf.dll is closely related to cftmon.exe). Skip Step 1 in the article, do the Step 2, and Step 3 only as last resort. (don't mind that it talks about office, it's running all the time on Windows).

Note: It is still possible that there is other cause (it IS accessing the audio device, for example. Also there are references to the VB libraries). I would have known definitely if you posted the log from before the app start (enable capture in ProcMon, then start the app). It would be much longer, but I'm willing to analyse it for you if you want. But first, try the above.

GL

Oops, DigeratiPrime answered while I was writing. :)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{a7c7a5b1-5af3-11d1-9ced-00a024bf0407}\Default NAME NOT FOUND

I think that's not important (it just queries for the existence of the key, not asking for the name really. On my computer, there is no Default value in any of the DeviceClasses\{...} and it works fine.)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_17C02017&REV_1005\4&2f67b58f&0&0001\Driver NAME NOT FOUND

I agree. This is a problem. It should be there.

So now you have two pieces of advice. :hello:

GL

You did fine. From what I see, language bar is interfering. Here's my advice:

Don't touch msctfime.ime. Disable the language bar at least temporarily. If you need it, you can turn it back on later by reversing the procedure. (If you follow that guide, you need also to check "Turn off advanced text services". Reboot. If you need the language bar, you can turn it back on later by reversing the procedure.

It's not language bar.

these two lines in the log suggest the problem is your system does not have audio drivers installed:

and

you can probably find the drivers for it in the Driverpack.net Sound B package.

http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/DriverPack.php?pag=sb

Also depending on what version of XP you are running you might need a hotfix for HD Audio. XP SP3 doesnt need this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

But I have sound drivers installed. SoundMax reinstalled, even. And SP3 is also in my system.

That one doesn't exist.

That one exists and have value:
{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005

Note: It is still possible that there is other cause (it IS accessing the audio device, for example. Also there are references to the VB libraries). I would have known definitely if you posted the log from before the app start (enable capture in ProcMon, then start the app). It would be much longer, but I'm willing to analyse it for you if you want. But first, try the above.
I cannot send log file as attachment, because it's too big. Here is link: Full log of Lær Dansk 1

I really appreciate your help.

PS. I forgot to mention previously, but maybe it's important -> There are also other sounds in that application that work fine. Like starting video or buttons sounds....

Edited by GordonInc

But there are problems with your audio devices (in the log, the app spends most of the time tinkering with audio):

You have multiple wave, wave1, wave2, mixer, mixer1 entries (all wdmaud.drv)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\

They sometimes occur from multiple re-installations. Clean them up CAREFULLY and let there be only one of each of the above (UNLESS you have multiple sound cards! Then disregard the above!)

There were already problems reported with this, and no less than with Adobe - Macromedia Flash.

In any case, try unchecking "use only preferred audio devices" in Sounds control panel. Just in case, it might help. You can return it later if you want.

Second: clean your temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\Ustawienia lokalne\Temp)

Third: Windows/IE7 might be disalowing the ActiveX control (seen as it tries to load Feature_XXX from the registry). Check control panel/internet setings/advanced; allow active content to run from cd... as well as IE -> manage addins; if you have the patience, check the Zones settings)

Fourth: I still think it isn't healthy how much language bar is interfering; but OK; and just to let you know, Logitech driver and printer driver (I guess HP) are also involved a little (but unlikely that they would cause this problem).

Fifth: Is H:\ the CD drive? Maybe some part of it is unreadable? Have you tried copying it entirely to some folder? There were some problems noted with Macromedia projector on CD .

Sixth and last: You still didn't provide full log (including before app start and after app end). :)

GL

Seventh: Avast might be interfering

Eight: As far as I can see, there is no problem with Common Controls in WinSXS (Visual C) except that it's prefetched. Clean up prefetch directory? (Others would disagree with this). :whistle:

GL

But there are problems with your audio devices (in the log, the app spends most of the time tinkering with audio):

You have multiple wave, wave1, wave2, mixer, mixer1 entries (all wdmaud.drv)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\

They sometimes occur from multiple re-installations. Clean them up CAREFULLY and let there be only one of each of the above (UNLESS you have multiple sound cards! Then disregard the above!)

I have multiple cards, but not physically. One of them is bluetooth device for example.
I went through it and even I tried some of the stuff they advice, it's not directly about my problem....
In any case, try unchecking "use only preferred audio devices" in Sounds control panel. Just in case, it might help. You can return it later if you want.

Second: clean your temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\Ustawienia lokalne\Temp)

Third: Windows/IE7 might be disalowing the ActiveX control (seen as it tries to load Feature_XXX from the registry). Check control panel/internet setings/advanced; allow active content to run from cd... as well as IE -> manage addins; if you have the patience, check the Zones settings)

Nothing of that helped.
Fifth: Is H:\ the CD drive? Maybe some part of it is unreadable? Have you tried copying it entirely to some folder? There were some problems noted with Macromedia projector on CD .
It's hard drive. I tried run from another locations.
Sixth and last: You still didn't provide full log (including before app start and after app end). :)
It IS full log from start to end of application. Filtered by process id.

So there is still no hope for that stupid application :(