Identify CD Key Version for a clean Install

I work for a small business, where we have about 90 toshiba tablet PC's, all either M400s or M700s. we use acronis tools to image the laptops when they need to be re-built. the images we use currently are based off of the original Toshiba install.

the toshiba install leaves much to be desired, so i'm looking to create a fresh install, but it has to be the Tablet PC 2005 Edition of Windows XP.

I have a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Volume License Key disc. It won't work with our (presumably) OEM Product Key on the bottom of the laptops.

I modified the disc, changing setupp.ini so that it is (allegedly) and OEM version. No dice with the CD Key. I tried retail. no dice. it won't let me skip the Product Key screen either, even when I slipstream to SP3 and use a ProductID of 76487OEM. If i look at another of our toshibas, this is the product ID they use as well.

I also tried a ProductID of 76888OEM. no luck either. i'm completely beat. and i need it to accept our CD key, otherwise they Tablet PC portions will not be installed, and i don't know how to do this after the fact.

Can anyone help me? I have 90 valid OEM keys and can't use any of them!

I really (really really) appreciate any help. Thanks!

EDIT: is there a way to identify my CD key, to make sure it is an OEM key? it has to be, but now i wonder...

Edited by shrubbery

Do you have a Toshiba Windows XP Tablet Edition OEM disc?

If so, look for WINNT.SIF in the I386 folder.

If it's there, open it with notepad and look for the product key.

You should be able to use that key to do a clean install of Windows XP.

If not, you should be able to use an app called Jellybean keyfinder on a PC that still has the pre-loaded OEM install.

Edited by TheReasonIFail

Magical Jellybean is an excellent program.

It is now opensource so no more problems about being detected as a trojan/malware/virus as would happen in the past.

Just Google Jellybean

Then proceed to magicaljellybean and all will be well.

Well, (hint, hint) look in the SP3 after extraction (only). You'll find "certain files" different between OEM and VOL. Use them instead. Lots of info on that on the web. By looking, you should figure it out. Just changing SETUPP.INI by itself won't work. You may even have to get other "certain files" off of one of the pre-installed PC's in order to construct an OEM from the VOL. After you get a properly constructed OEM CD, the keys on the cases should(?) work. Can't say much more in case it's a no-no...

Peace and Rice-a-Roni!

Edited by submix8c