BSOD without a stop error

kooftspc

I won't be much help but I'd suggest having a search on the forum here for instructions on how to get a memory dump. Set your machine to do a memory dump on error, and next time it BSODs upload the dump and get one of the gurus here to help you with it. You're definitely in the right place, some of the guys on here really know their stuff!

[edit] just an after thought, don't just do a mini dump!

Edited by JedMeister

I won't be much help but I'd suggest having a search on the forum here for instructions on how to get a memory dump. Set your machine to do a memory dump on error, and next time it BSODs upload the dump and get one of the gurus here to help you with it. You're definitely in the right place, some of the guys on here really know their stuff!

[edit] just an after thought, don't just do a mini dump!

memory dump requires me to boot into windows, no?

i wonder if i can get the system running long enough to paste that here

Ok good point! Have you tried safe mode? does it do the same thing?

I'm sure there is a direct reg tweak you could use rather than going through the GUI process. That would be much quicker. Again I don't know it off the top of my head but I'm sure if it exists it'll be somewhere on this site.

i turned on one of my old machines today and ran it for a few minutes when i got a bsod...there was no stop error mentioned

where do i start? what should i do?

If you can get in for a minute or so, even in safe mode, follow these instructions.

Brilliant cluberti that link was exactly what I was thinking he'd need, just didn't have it. I'll bookmark it for future reference!

You're in good hands now kooftspc. If you can get a dump uploaded for cluberti to look at, I'd put my money on him being able to head you in the right direction! I've seen him work his magic on a dump file before! :thumbup

in the midst of sorting out the memory dump....the computer turned off. it seems the psu has died.

i ran a memtest and got 2048 errors

could these two things be related?

It's not the PSU, it's RAM all the way. Bad RAM causes erratic behaviour, including unexpected shutdowns.

in the midst of sorting out the memory dump....the computer turned off. it seems the psu has died.

i ran a memtest and got 2048 errors

could these two things be related?

It's not the PSU, it's RAM all the way. Bad RAM causes erratic behaviour, including unexpected shutdowns.

im really compelled to believe you...

but the psu doesnt even turn on anymore :(

ill try and isolate the bad stick as soon as i get a working psu

Well it could be the PSU ...or it could be the motherboard. I recently had a motherboard that died (actually I've had 2 lately) with the same symtoms (stopped and wouldn't start). Try a different PSU or try that PSU on a different PC (if you've got access to one) before you lash out. If it is PSU then would advise you spend a bit on it, don't just buy a cheap one.