nLite + 160GB HD + SP3

NCVistaXP

Hi,

I am going to install Windows XP Pro on my laptop, but the version of XP I have is one of the Version 2002 CD's, the very first ones! The HD in my laptop is over 160GB, so if I install XP, I will only see 127GB. I would like to get the whole 160GB in one partition, can this be done?

I was thinking, that if I use nLite, bundle XP SP3, and make a custom CD, I should get the whole 160GB?

But I am unsure on how to make just a simple XP, with SP3 custom CD? How can I do this? I read the guide on nLite, but I am a little confused!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you can reply!

Nick.

Depends on your hardware I guess.

On a really old HP Pavilion I was able to use a 320GB disk that is not supported by its BIOS, by integrating SP2 (I think SP1 or higher is required) and the Intel Application Acceleration drivers.

Hi,

I am going to install Windows XP Pro on my laptop, but the version of XP I have is one of the Version 2002 CD's, the very first ones! The HD in my laptop is over 160GB, so if I install XP, I will only see 127GB. I would like to get the whole 160GB in one partition, can this be done?

I was thinking, that if I use nLite, bundle XP SP3, and make a custom CD, I should get the whole 160GB?

But I am unsure on how to make just a simple XP, with SP3 custom CD? How can I do this? I read the guide on nLite, but I am a little confused!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you can reply!

Nick.

Hi Nick,

That size limitation only exists with XP when there are no Service Packs installed. If the drive is already formatted at 160GB (only 130GB or so will be seen within Windows), you have choices.

My fist choice would be to slipstream SP2 with the disk you already have and then burn yourself a new "Base" install CD from the result. My primary reason for suggesting an SP2 slip is that SP3 requires that either SP1 or SP2 already exist or it won't install. I am also a bit leery of SP3 when slipstreamed due to the percentage of folks who haven't been able to get nLite, SP3 and other additions/removals to work well together. Of course, you may never have some of those issues, but I'm trying to help preserve your sanity here. :blink:

Assuming the hard drive is not just fully formatted but also empty, a second choice would be to install what you already have (non-SP install CD), but do NOT allow the install to mess with the partitioning/formatting of the hard drive. Yes, only 127GB will show up initially, but you'll get the rest back when you get around to installing SP2. This is how we did it prior to finding utilities like nLite. :blushing:

So, given your situation, I would do nothing more than slipstream SP2 with your original install disk and create a new install CD from the result. This new base disk will provide you with an easy way to get a full Windows install that recognizes the entire size of your hard drive. You can later use that new "base" CD for experiments with SP3 and whatever other stuff you want to try with nLite.

Thank you both for your replies! So, just install nLite, bundle SP2, and burn disc? I don't mind about doing the questions during the install. I want to keep it simple! Just SP2 on the CD! And then will I get the whole 160GB on the HD as one partition?

At the moment, I am using Vista, but I will install XP Pro.

Thank you.

Nick.

Thank you both for your replies! So, just install nLite, bundle SP2, and burn disc? I don't mind about doing the questions during the install. I want to keep it simple! Just SP2 on the CD! And then will I get the whole 160GB on the HD as one partition?

At the moment, I am using Vista, but I will install XP Pro.

Thank you.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I believe nLite was designed to only be used within XP systems. It may not make a difference if all you're doing is slipstreaming SP2 into the disk, but I wanted you to be aware of it in case it doesn't work as expected. If you prefer, you can go to the MS site that provides the IT version of SP2 and read their directions for slipstreaming it without the help of a 3rd party utility like nLite. Check out the links below for all you need.

To get SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

How to slipstream SP2 manually:

http://blogs.technet.com/brucecowper/articles/240224.aspx

Again, once you're all set up with your WinXP install running, you can use nLite from within that install to do all sorts of things to your install disk, but I just want to make sure you can get the initial XP install done without a problem. :thumbup

So, just install nLite, bundle SP2, and burn disc?

As stated before: depends on your hardware (does your BIOS support 48-bit LBA; and if not, do you have an Intel chipset?).

To bypass the BIOS of that old HP, I really needed to integrate the IAA software as well.

Checkout the (extremely slow) site 48bitlba.com.

Just make it simple please. As requested by original poster. Start nLite, select integration of service pack and iso creation as tasks to be performed. When requested, point to your XP original source folder (or CD then a HDD folder where to copy it), then when requested, point to your SP3 exe file, and when requested give a label and a name to your iso file. Try it and come with next question if any.