Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 based on my server specs & needs?&#33

alx_test

Hello,

I have a network of 13 workstation clients (WinXP SP-2 PRO) and a server with the following specs:

Intel Pentium 4 640 (Prescott Hyper-Threading) 3.2GHZ FSB800MHZ 2MB L2 Cache (Not multi-core CPU!!)

DDR 2GB 400MHZ Dual Channel (PC3200 200MHZ)

300GB HD

ATI Radeon X330/X550/X1050

I want to setup a Domain and so I have to choose from the following two operating systems to install in this server:

Windows 2003 Standard R2 DSP License

Windows 2008 Standard Sngl OLP NL GOVT (Government License)

From my previous experiences, I know that Windows 2003 will work perfectly on the above setup:

Windows 2003 Requirements

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...r/bb430827.aspx

But the Windows 2008 government license is far better than the Windows 2003 DSP which can only be used for one PC/Server. (It gets tied to the motherboard & CPU, where as government license can be carried to the next server in case I buy a new one in the future)

I checked the Windows 2008 system requirements and it should work fine on my server:

Windows 2008 Requirements

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/cc196364.aspx

But I know that these requirements by Microsoft are never accurate and since I have never actually seen it in action I can’t judge how well it would work on my specific server. (My CPU is not Multi-core)

The services I’m interested in installing are: Active Directory / Domain Controller (With 13 Domain users), DNS service, DHCP service (The Server will give Internet to the Domain PCs via the DSL/Router) & File Sharing service. (Possibly even setting up a VPN tunnel via the DSL / Router in the future to connect to another workgroup via the Internet)

So based on my setup and needs, how well would I expect Windows 2008 Standard to work on my server? I would rather avoid upgrading the hardware at the moment, but I don’t want a slow/jerky server & Domain either!

Should I get Windows 2003 Standard R2 instead?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

u could take run test with it

u have 60days to test it

before put the product key

install it as second os and when u got the time config it and test it

if all is good [ and its should be good server 2008 is gr8]

or check the net for solutions

make it the main os

and u have enuf time to decide and run ur testes

windows server 2008 will work better in future server if u will buy

and the network performance are better

server 2008 should be the better choice

GL

Edited by aviv00

I recommend Server 2003 for these specs. While you can try out 2008 to see if you like it, your need to consider a few things. First you need to check if your hardware is certified to work in 2008. Yes, you can get non-certified hardware (like motherboards) to work in 2008 but why would you do that in a business environment? Also, I don't see any point in running 2008 in a 32bit configuration, which your specs are on the low end, 64bit would be a waste on that system.

"First you need to check if your hardware is certified to work in 2008"

You mean if there are Windows 2008 drivers compatible for my current server components?

Or that message when you install a driver / device that is not verified by Microsoft? "This driver / device is not certified by Microsoft, do you wish to continue, etc.." ?

I get that even when I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers on Windows 2003 server, but it still worked fine.

By the way, is Panda Antivirus for business compatible with Windows 2008 server?

It is stated in their home site that it’s compatible with Windows 2003 but what about Windows 2008?

http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterprise/solutions/business/

Thanks in advance.

Edited by alx_test

No. Microsoft has a list of all hardware that has been tested or Certified to work with Server 2008. Its not the same as "works with..." but it is "approved and verified that it works with.." Basically in any situation where we build a server (or workstation) that isn't certified to work with any OS (for example a desktop board and Server 2003) it falls into the category of "well it might work, or it might not. We don't support it if it fails, and can't promise that it will work at all". We play it safe.

http://blogs.msdn.com/nickmac/archive/2008...r-2008-x64.aspx

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/result...=25&ready=0

I recommend Server 2003 for these specs.

It's not exactly a fast server indeed (P4, single core, only 2GB -- a basic $350 Dell Vostro 200 desktop is faster), so I'd say 2003 too. It would be worthwhile to bump up the RAM for sure.

But since there are so few clients, and that the box seemingly has to handle everything, it might be worth looking at Win 2003 Small Business Edition. You'll also get Exchange out of it, and even SQL Server if you go for the premium version although there's only so much that this box will run at once (and SQL Server Express Ed might suffice to your needs).

Stick with 2003, unless you're planning on going to Vista then 2008 really doesn't offer you anything other than price as a benefit. You may also find you have issues if you have non standard applications (just ask my Applications Architect who is pulling his hair out over com+ compatibility).

No. Microsoft has a list of all hardware that has been tested or Certified to work with Server 2008. Its not the same as "works with..." but it is "approved and verified that it works with.." Basically in any situation where we build a server (or workstation) that isn't certified to work with any OS (for example a desktop board and Server 2003) it falls into the category of "well it might work, or it might not. We don't support it if it fails, and can't promise that it will work at all". We play it safe.

http://blogs.msdn.com/nickmac/archive/2008...r-2008-x64.aspx

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/result...=25&ready=0

Thanks a lot for the compatibility list!

How ever, my Server mother board: “ABIT AG8 Motherboard”

I can't even find it in the compatibility list?!

I checked the ABIT Driver site and there are no Windows 2008 Server drivers available by ABIT!

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/do...KET_TYPE=LGA775

Does this mean that it will not work at all with Windows 2008 Server?

Will the Windows 2003 Server drivers work with Windows 2008 Server?

?

Well you are taking a chance by using that board with 2008 server. 2008 works like Vista, where it may be able to install default/generic drivers for some devices, but you might have ones that get flagged, or don't work properly. This could be a major issue if say a generic driver doesn't work properly for a motherboard component.

I looked up this board (or what you put for it) and it says its an Intel 915 chipset. Getting drivers for this might be impossible. I do not have experience with 32bit 2008, so you might be able to force 2003 (or XP x64) drivers to be used instead.

I wouldn't recommend using 2008 on this board at all. Use 2003 or get some newer hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the: "Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution tool" on the Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The results showed that all my current Server devices (Including the M/B Intel 915 chipset) are compatible with Windows 2008 Server. It says: "No action required. Driver is available on the Windows Server 2008 DVD" for all the devices.

It also recommends installing Windows 2008 based on my current setup and system requirements.

So, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

I used the: "Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution tool" on the Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The results showed that all my current Server devices (Including the M/B Intel 915 chipset) are compatible with Windows 2008 Server. It says: "No action required. Driver is available on the Windows Server 2008 DVD" for all the devices.

It also recommends installing Windows 2008 based on my current setup and system requirements.

So, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Well it doesn't hurt to try. To be safe, don't activate Windows right away. We didn't activate our 2008 server until day 27 because we wanted to make sure it would do everything we wanted it to.

• 4 weeks later...

2 GB is the MINIMUM I would run Server 2008 on.

In fact, I think Windows Server 2008 32-bit is a waste. 64-bit is the way to go, which, of course a P4 Prescott doesn't support.

If it's just going to be a file server/domain controller/RRAS server, then you could probably get away with 2K8 x86, as long as you don't have a metric ****ton of users. If you add ANYTHING else to it (WSUS, SQL, Exchange, ISA, etc.), then you need a better box.

Another thing to consider is what you use for backups.

Do you use tape drives and NTBACKUP? If so, stick with 2K3. 2K8's Windows Server Backup doesn't support tapes.

I would take the advice of those above, if I were you OP. I put 2008 on 3 servers so far that are low end specs 32bit - not on any approved list -

They were all dell servers admittedly, but all the same I had expected good results. first off none of them would utilise the graphics card properly. Also I had problems with other basic board drivers - intel chipset drivers etc.

If you are desperate to get 2008 on there then you have to think of the hardware as an investment because otherwise its gonna be a disappointment. I am just ordering a new server myself.

Edited by docmarten