how can i use a installed window on another PC

The Hardware will be different and boot start drivers marked for Load simply will not. NTDetect will fail and the result will be a pretty blusecreen :)

One thing you can do is run a repair of windows to redetect the HAL and get it going but ONLY if you are legally able to do so under the license you have.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Sure he can, lol im a bit suprised you guys say no.

There are several solutions to this.

In one of my previous jobs we did this all the time. We were using ghost and other things to accomplish this, tho ghost will be enough for your needs i guess.

Long time since i've done it, but ghost is very self explaining imho.

Edited by TranceEnergy

I install windows xp on my PC.

Now I want to use this installed windows on another pc but when i attach this hard drive on other pc this is not running on this PC how can i use this window on other PC

:unsure:

It is not supported to even do a system restore from one hardware platform to another that is different, and moving the hard disk is effectively trying to do that.

Also, if the XP x64 installation uses an OEM license then you are not legally entitled to move it to another machine, the license lies with the mainboard on the original computer.

I'm not sure what creating an image of the hard disk or volume is meant to achieve differently - the drivers will still be incorrect or missing for the new hardware, leaving the system unbootable.

Let's try and separate the two problems:

a) is it legal?

b) is it possible?

a) depends on the kind of license you have.

b) it is possible, though not easy and usually not recommended:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

I don't see why XP64 should be different from XP 32 bit. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'm not sure what creating an image of the hard disk or volume is meant to achieve differently - the drivers will still be incorrect or missing for the new hardware, leaving the system unbootable.

Obviously you have little experience with imaging drives then. In the process i'm thinking of one root out drivers and anything identifying what the system was, tho keeping anything else, it quickly gets very complicated if one should start detailing what should/can be kept in order to re-use system.

For a single imaging copy i wouldnt do it tho, i'd rather setup a clean install. There's very many variables to think about, and it can quickly become faster to just do a clean install.

jaclaz : He didnt say what kind of licences in use, so i wouldnt know, if he legally or not could do it. But saying on a general basis that it just isnt doable, is simply not true.

Difference between 32bit and 64 bit is that 64 bit owns 32bit. There, i said it. Nah seriously, it should matter not at all with updated software for the job.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Obviously you have little experience with imaging drives then. In the process i'm thinking of one root out drivers and anything identifying what the system was, tho keeping anything else, it quickly gets very complicated if one should start detailing what should/can be kept in order to re-use system.
Actually, though it's been a few years I have used Ghost extensively as a method of creating "restore-inside-20-minutes" images along with a network boot floppy disk - I've not used imaging techs for migrating existing OS's to dissimilar hardware though, due to the problems described already.

The process you are talking about sounds more like a sysprep than anything to do with imaging specifically, and as you said not practical for a single client machine.