Winsxs folder is HUGE!?

So I was testing my edited windows on a virtual machine, and I gave it 10GB of hard drive space. Well next thing I new it, it was full. I dug around and I found it was the winsxs folder in the windows folder. The folder is almost 6GB's!! I dont know why its so big, its never happened before to me. Any suggestions?

Shadow

Edited by x-Shadow-x

I've found that using vLite to strip out all languages but the actual one you're going to use reduces the SXS folder size to a more manageable ~1.8GB after x64 install (not sure about x86). I've actually got everything installed on this box (including VS 2008) and I'm only at ~4.5GB, which is smaller than a base x64 OS without stripping languages was (about 6GB after install).

I've found that using vLite to strip out all languages but the actual one you're going to use reduces the SXS folder size to a more manageable ~1.8GB after x64 install (not sure about x86). I've actually got everything installed on this box (including VS 2008) and I'm only at ~4.5GB, which is smaller than a base x64 OS without stripping languages was (about 6GB after install).

I can verify this. I was running out of HD space on some older machines that I put Vista on and stripping the languages works wonders.

I can verify this. I was running out of HD space on some older machines that I put Vista on and stripping the languages works wonders.

Is there an easy way to strip out those languages post install? I mean really, this is an absurd way of keeping backups. No wonder Vista is so hated by everybody I know. That folder alone is taking up more space than the total room required by ALL software I ever used plus Windows XP x64.