\\?\Device\Harddisk6\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk6\DR9
\\?\Device\Harddisk6\Partition1
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk6\DP(1)0-0+11
\\?\Device\Harddisk7\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk7\DR10
\\?\Device\Harddisk7\Partition1
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk7\DP(1)0-0+12

If the DR7 and DR8 correspond to entries starting with "DP(1)0-0+" they are devices of your card reader and they are probably getting in the way.

jaclaz

Where/how do I open that on the drive? From the working vista or the non working new one. I don't have access to the cmd prompt on the new machine...I'll try unplugging the devices from the motherboard..

Thanks for your replies..

Sorry if I sounded ignorant about the internal parts.

Internal card readers connect to the USB bus as well, so in our case internal=external. In both cases they create for windows a disk drive, with no disk in it.

You have to disconnect the card reader, leave ONLY one hard disk connected, start Text mode, recreate partitions on it, deleting the old ones, RESTART computer right after that part (F3 key), without continuing Text mode, start Text mode again and install Windows in the first newly created partition if you set up BOOT.INI like this.

Then report what happens at GUI mode.

dd is to be run on the same computer, so ignore it for now.

Edited by ilko_t

Oddly enough all I did was unplug the front usb and the usb card reader and the other SATA drive and voila. It loaded into the "Setup is restarting" and loaded right into the GUI mode. About 5 minutes later windows was installed and running!!!

Thanks so much guys!!! Didn't think it was such a little mistake that would cause this, but I learn something new every day.

One issue, well not so much an issue, just an annoyance is when windows boots up it gives me an option to load Windows XP or to load USB Windows XP (not for using, just install) or something along those lines. Any way to knock off the USB one so it just auto loads into Windows XP?

Again thanks guys for your help!!

Glad you made it :)

As a matter of fact, similar, if not the same error is displayed while presetup.cmd finds USB drive letter and there is an empty card reader attached, but clicking IGNORE gets you going, haven't read a report, when it hangs.

In your case I suspect Windows itself was screwing up, as we removed those lines in presetup.cmd, which find the drive letter.

Next time promise you pay more attention to the questions you are were asked, no matter how irrelevant they may seem to you.

As for the USB entry in menu- read \WinSetupFromUSB\Docs\HOW-TOs.txt

12. Program adds additional entry in BOOT.INI on the internal disk for USB repair, which is displayed during boot. Without it you cannot perform Windows repair installation from USB disk.

If this entry bothers you, right click on My Computer, select Properties-->Advanced-->Startup and Recovery group Settings and

either decrease "Time to display list of operating system" to 5-10 seconds, or press Edit, remove the line for USB repair and save the file.

Glad you made it :)

As a matter of fact, similar, if not the same error is displayed while presetup.cmd finds USB drive letter and there is an empty card reader attached, but clicking IGNORE gets you going, haven't read a report, when it hangs.

In your case I suspect Windows itself was screwing up, as we removed those lines in presetup.cmd, which find the drive letter.

Next time promise you pay more attention to the questions you are were asked, no matter how irrelevant they may seem to you.

As for the USB entry in menu- read \WinSetupFromUSB\Docs\HOW-TOs.txt

12. Program adds additional entry in BOOT.INI on the internal disk for USB repair, which is displayed during boot. Without it you cannot perform Windows repair installation from USB disk.

If this entry bothers you, right click on My Computer, select Properties-->Advanced-->Startup and Recovery group Settings and

either decrease "Time to display list of operating system" to 5-10 seconds, or press Edit, remove the line for USB repair and save the file.

Definately will in the future :).

Also it seems that on bootup its not just 2 choices but 3. The 3rd one is Windows XP (default)...exactly like that. And it's always the one highlighted (hence default I guess). But oddly enough that option locks up windows start up and restarts the system.

Here is what my boot.ini looks like in case there is something in here that could be wrong:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS /usepmtimer
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks again! :thumbup

Remove /usepmtimer from the second line and decrease timeout value to 1 or 2 so the USB repair entry won't bother you.

[Boot Loader]
timeout=2
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

About /usepmtimer switch:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980

Remove /usepmtimer from the second line and decrease timeout value to 1 or 2 so the USB repair entry won't bother you.

[Boot Loader]
timeout=2
[Operating Systems]

About /usepmtimer switch:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980

Okay but the Default option gives me a hal.dll error so I always have to manually select the 1st option in the list. Would it work if I just copied the XP Pro startup info into Default=?

Thanks again :)

Which one is the first line? Which one do you exactly see and use?

only shows which line, listed under [Operating Systems] is default:

I asked to you to remove /usepmtimer from default=... line, as AFAIK it is not expected there and may lead to unpredictable results. Did you remove it and test?

Have you connected another mass storage device (card reader, hard disk etc.) after the setup?

Which one is the first line? Which one do you exactly see and use?

only shows which line, listed under [Operating Systems] is default:

I asked to you to remove /usepmtimer from default=... line, as AFAIK it is not expected there and may lead to unpredictable results. Did you remove it and test?

Have you connected another mass storage device (card reader, hard disk etc.) after the setup?

Yeah I have a 2nd hard drive hooked up with a Windows XP Install on it. That could be what's causing the error I guess but it's not set up as a boot device.

The exact info that shows up is:

Windows XP Pro

USB

Windows (default)

The curser automatically chooses the last one so I have to manually select Windows XP Pro.

***EDIT***

I'm just in the process of backing up the old drive. I will then format the drive and use it solely as a backup and hopefully that removes the issues.

Edited by Yoshii

Well, just check for BOOT.INI on old hard drive active partition. Most likely it become first at boot order and it's BOOT.INI is used.

Reformatting if it's just because of this issue is overkill, we just have to figure out which BOOT.INI is used and correct it's entries.

Edited by ilko_t

Well, just check for BOOT.INI on old hard drive active partition. Most likely it become first at boot order and it's BOOT.INI is used.

Reformatting if it's just because of this issue is overkill, we just have to figure out which BOOT.INI is used and correct it's entries.

LOL naw I formatted it because it's now used as a backup. After I did all this everything is good now. Thanks again :)

Will definately be using this forum to find info on future problems that might occur.

Thanks again!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!!

Congrats to all who put together this great piece of code.. I've just tested it with XP Pro Corp SP3 With driverpacks and apps on a 4G Tanscend drive and it worked a treat.. Sorry if i've missed anything i tried to read through the whole post but am at work so had to skip a few pages, do you guys think it would be possible to automate the selection when booting from the usb key after you selected XP Pro (i.e. Choose to install XP then where you normally select part 2/3 have that automated) like once the first stage is finished it writes a file to the hard disk which stores what part of the install the pc is up to and just have the usb key look for that file on the next boot?? i'd be willing to give it a shot if someone might be able to point me at where to start, if it's possible. Anyhow any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Sorry, I did not understand what you exactly mean.

Is it automatic selection of the boot menu upon start?

Right now what it does:

-upon first start of Text mode part, the GUI part is made default

-on next relaunch, as the GUI mode is set default, it will be started

There is a timeout value in seconds in menu.lst and winsetup.lst, after those seconds the default entry is auto launched (now is GUI mode). You can see the timer on the bottom of the grub4dos screen. If you press any key this timer will stop and default entry will not be auto launched.

I thinks timeout value in both menu.lst and winsetup.lst was decreased to 10 in 0.1.1, but you could also play with it- just open up menu.lst and winsetup.lst in Notepad and change timeout value to what suits you.

The default entry stays GUI mode, so for the next full setup Text mode must be selected manually, GUI mode will remain default and auto selected if you don't press any key.

Did this answer your question?

...Does this message really mean to now unplug the USB stick from SOURCE PC, and to plug it in to the TARGET PC. Then boot to begin the install of XP from USB stick, and to follow the three restarts without unplugging it from the TARGET PC?...

Correct :)

It means when you connect USB disk to the target computer, you have to start from USB 3 times, apparently keeping the USB disk plugged in:

1. Text mode part of Setup

2. GUI mode part

3. First start of Windows

thanks that message confused me as well!