ping request sometimes good and sometimes timesout

ceez

hey guys,

yesterday at 10.30am our network went to screaching halt. my network drivers got disconnected and everything just really slowed down. users had a hard time login in and if they were already looged in their computer would slow down because the network drives showed as disconnected.

if we perform our ping of our dns servers, dc's or even file servers we will get a mix of successfull requests and timeouts along the life of the ping (ping servername -t)

my first thought was OMG a switch or router have gone bad

and my second

our DNS just blew up!

the reason I am not leaning much towards dns is because we can resolve names and ips and that is pretty much the function of dns. if it WAS dns then we would not be able to ping the servernames and get the right ip or ping the IP and get the correct server name in return (ping -a servername)

we tried isolating the problem yesterday by using a different switch (out of the many), when that switch was unplugged rom the network the pinging reqeust between 4 servers and 1 laptop was perfect, when plugged into the main hp procurve switch it began dropping again. our network router guy called hp and they say that the drops are happening on the other end of the procurve, but how can that be if the test switch was working perfectly without it?!?!

either way, our router guy is calling hp again and we're stuck with a limping network.

what would you guys think it is?!??!

hardware

dns

anything else?!?!

please I just need some extra input cause my coworker and i are just mush for brain after a long nite and now we gotta head back to work! :(

thank you for reading!

ceez

ok we solved the problem after being down for about 1030 am to 505pm the next day....

it was a small compusa hub that someone had placed in a spare office for some outside consultants to come into the office and be able to get to the network.

it was creating mad traffic on the network and throwing it off balance. man I am so mad but happy that we were able to pin point the problem.

I'll look into the wireshark info.