Fix for Explorer stuck on delete/move large # of files?

osRe

Is there a fix for Explorer getting stuck after deleting or moving a large number of files? (Started with one of the IE6/SP1 updates, and I think the problem was somewhere in SHDOCVW.DLL or BROWSEUI.DLL).

I saw references to using mixed DLLs from IE5.5 to solve it, but I'm looking for a fix leaving the IE6 DLLs.

Is it possible just to replace the single offending DLL, and are there no negative side-effects?

And hasn't someone ever figured out what in the last official DLL causes this?

According to my observations the Shell98 update solves just a part of the problem. It is better to use both Shell98 and browser dll replacement fixes, at the same time.

Edited by Sfor

I have installed both the separate patches and Gape's uSP3 beta 3, no problem. No side effect.

However I still recommand alternative file managers like Xplorer2 or Total Commander which never had this sort of problem even without the patch.

TotalCopy, is also an excellent utility to copy/move realy huge amounts of datas.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm reluctant to use anything that's more than the bare minimum, particularly mixing different replacements DLLs/modified ones. Also I'm hesitant to use patched DLLs without knowing the details on what was changed.

Indeed alternative file managers may be the best way to go (a will also be useful with XP whose shell is even worse). So far I haven't found one that I liked, but maybe I haven't look hard enough.

For now I'll just stick with using del or deltree. :)

Edited by shae

You shouldn't be so shy with updates: uSP 3 is relatively safe.

Xplorer2 lite (free version) is realy a good one. I use it for years and never use the original explorer.

You can also use winfile.exe from the windows folder. Not very sexy but you will solve your problem without any change to your system.

I'm reluctant to use anything that's more than the bare minimum, particularly mixing different replacements DLLs/modified ones. Also I'm hesitant to use patched DLLs without knowing the details on what was changed.

I've been using the unofficial updates for at least a year now.

I have both 98SE and XP on my PC, and with all the updates (official and unofficial), I prefer 98SE!

The unofficial updates on MSFN come from a few proven reliable sources.

Many of us have the skills to determine what has been changed between the last official binaries and the unofficial patch updates. Nothing dodgy has a chance!

Most Windows 9x unofficial updates are in fact official Microsoft binaries unpatched from the likes of Windows Me, 2000, XP updates.

You do not need to back-date the browser dlls to IE5.

That is a bad security choice!

I can delete GBs of 1000s of files with 98SE Explorer and have no hangs or delays.

I would recommend using SHELL98 update as a bare minimum solution to the Explorer problem.

If you want some technical background to the Shell fix, and the history, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/98-FE-98-SP1-98-...DLL-t84451.html