Where to start looking for sattelite connections?

i wanted to look up some sattelite connection price's and policies from diffrent ISP's and see if i can find a reasonable price to get my self one and get rid of terrible local connections in my country(Iran).

though i didnt know where to start looking for or should i know anything first before i even start looking!

i really appreciate any help or suggestions on where to start.

thanks for the link nitro but there are 2 problems with their serivices,

1.they only have 2mbps connection spedd so it cost a little more than lower speeds like 1mbps which i rather get for the price.

2.they dont have 2-way connections only inbound.

thanks for the link nitro but there are 2 problems with their serivices,

1.they only have 2mbps connection spedd so it cost a little more than lower speeds like 1mbps which i rather get for the price.

2.they dont have 2-way connections only inbound.

Satellite internet is always more expensive, usually slower, and usually they have pretty drastic bandwidth usage caps too (transponder bandwidth on a satellite is crazy expensive, unlike copper/fibre bandwidth), much higher latency, and as you found out, it's often 1-way only. It never is cheaper than a "normal" ISP. There's other kinds of satellite ISPs like inmarsat, but you're talking about ISDN speeds at several $/minute. But, in some remote locations, it's pretty much all they you can get.

With some luck, there might be some wifi ISPs/access points in your area, or WiMax being deployed in the future, or perhaps a cell phone company that has a decent data plan (not that I've ever seen one).

thanks alot for the replies,

after some research "crahak" due to the high latency i dont even consider the satellite connection for primary use when i have ADSL.though i decided to get a one-way connection for higher inbound speed.have installed all the hardwares already just need to get an account from broadsat.

i decided to get a one-way connection for higher inbound speed.have installed all the hardwares already just need to get an account from broadsat.

I just looked at broadsat's plans, specifically opensky which seems to be what you're referring to:

it's 35 euros for (40 if not on a plan) for: 10 GB a month at up to 2 Mbps. That's not a whole lot of data at all, and not really fast either. Chances are your existing ADSL is better than that...

Around here, with ISPs like teksavvy you can get 5mbit down/800kbit up ADSL w/o any data caps for $40 CAD (25 euros) a month, or $30 (19 euros) if you can live with a 200GB/month cap (20x more than that sat plan), and that's not just a 1-way thing that requires you already have internet.