vista performance

jeremy1976

ive got 4 gig of ram in my pc 320 gig harddrive 3400+ sempron processer when ive got vista on my pc it takes about 2 minutes to come on to the desktop then its loading the data for a further 2 minutes why is this happening? i get 55 processes running on vista and it uses just over a gig of ram ive used vlite to strip components out of it to see if that would improve the performance but theres no difference when i install the vista lite the processes improve they go down to 47 processes but still vista is using 839 mbs ram why is it doing that as ive took out all the stuff what takes memory and space and when vista loads up its still loading data for 2 minutes can anybody explain why this is happening?

I never used vlite, so no idea there. But there are LOTS of easy changes that makes the RAM usage go down a lot (without resorting to vlite)

Things like indexing (I've seen that take over 200MB sometimes, but normally around 60MB idle), desktop composing (plenty of times over 150MB...), sidebar (about 80MB or so), media center (hundreds of MBs!) and such can use up a LOT of memory, so disable what you don't like/want. There's LOADS of unnecessary services you can disable too. My non-vlite'd Vista boots on 365MB of RAM (and that includes several unnecessary "extras" and things like IIS7 running -- you could make it boot on less). Not that I'd really stress out over RAM usage with 4GB. I just disabled the stuff I don't care for myself -- mainly desktop composing and the awful MCE crap. Also, I only have 38 processes open right now (including indexing, the sidebar, firefox, 2 processes for the intel RAID, and the realtek mixer, so only 32 if you don't count those)

As for boot speed, check this sticky.