How to keep MPEG2 codec?

anonymous_user

What component (or preferably file) is needed for Vista's MPEG2 codec?

"mpg2splt.ax" and "Mpeg2Data.ax" these are the mpeg2 file.

I dont think removing any components removes, mpeg2 codec (i have removed almost all components and still mpeg2 worked)

Edited by shahed26

I have a video that when opened in WMP11 (with Vista's MPEG2 codec), there is no video, only sound.

I thought it was a problem with VCP so I sent the file to Shark007 and he told me that the video plays fine for him.

If I use ffdshow to play the file, then it plays fine (video). Thus the problem is with Vista's MPEG2 codec.

I have a video that when opened in WMP11 (with Vista's MPEG2 codec), there is no video, only sound.

I thought it was a problem with VCP so I sent the file to Shark007 and he told me that the video plays fine for him.

If I use ffdshow to play the file, then it plays fine (video). Thus the problem is with Vista's MPEG2 codec.

It could be a problem with WMP11 as well. anyways the best way to find out is by playing this video file in media player classic and configure to use Microsoft mpeg2 codec to see if it plays there. if it does play then its WMP11 problem, and if does not play then, ms mpeg2 codec.

btw i did register mpg2splt.ax and mpeg2data.ax, and it registered succesfully.

let me know, as i did have a similar problems to yours in the past, and managed to fix it (can't remeber exactly how i fixed it, as i messed about alot to get it working)

Edited by shahed26

Well it plays in MPC but I dont know which codec its using. Also I dont think its a WMP11 problem; Shark007 did test it in WMP.

Anyways its no big deal. While I was hoping to find the solution, Ill just use ffdshow for MPEG2.

To find out which codec its using in MPC, just right click when the video is playing, and then choose "filters" it will show you what codec its using.

You can use ffdshow, but remember, if your video card has "dxva" (video acceleration) then ffdshow will not use it (it can't use it). Ms mpeg2 codec uses dxva if available to provide more smooth and better video playback.

i recommend you download "k-lite codec" and ONLY install cyberlink mpeg2 codec from that pack, Its the best mpeg2 codec out there

Edited by shahed26

I think I found the problem: Vista Business doesnt include the MPEG2 codec.

Error 0x80070005 is "Access denied". As you explained, your version of Vista doesn't have that feature, so it won't register (not licensed).

Either ways, there are TONS of other mpeg2 codecs out there. The Vista one is only required for MCE (it won't use anyone else's mpeg2 codec AFAIK), for everything else, any 3rd party mpeg2 codec will do. The quality of Vista's decoder is OK, there is better and worse.

PowerDVD ships with one (even old versions bundled with DVD drives), WinDVD too (don't particularly care for it though), the bundled ATI DVD player comes with one, etc. Loads of companies sell just a mpeg2 codec by itself if you want: nvidia PureVideo, MainConcept, Elecard, etc. There's even some free codecs that will handle it (ffdshow which indeed has no acceleration at all, dscaler and the GPL one on sourceforge namely). And also, most codec packs include one or more :)

I'm a k-lite user myself (custom install, and extras added after, namely CoreAVC). Lots of ppl like CCCP as well.