32bit upgrade to 64bit ?

TerryFox

Hi ... I finally got Vista . I'm curious to know whether its true you can install the 32 bit version and if later on I wanted to install the 64 bit version ( Upgrade ) I could with the same license keys ? Or do I need to purchase new keys for 64 bit ? I'm not sure which to install as of yet and if I could do as I'm asking then I will probably go with the 32 bit . I'm stuck here any suggestions ? Thanks

nope. you dont need another license. if you have the ultimate DVD the 64 bit version is on the disc or you can get media here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ions/64bit.mspx

BTW, i love the verbiage on that site:

hero_support.jpg

The 64-bit version of Windows Vista is not for everyone. Please confirm that your system, applications, and devices are compatible with a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista before installing.

Talk to your doctor about 64bit before making the switch. If you experience lockups lasting more than 4 hours, application compatibility or experience other hardware incompatibilities seek medical advice immediately. :yes:

Talk to your doctor about 64bit before making the switch. If you experience lockups lasting more than 4 hours, application compatibility or experience other hardware incompatibilities seek medical advice immediately. :yes:

LMAO :thumbup ... I'm not sure you understood my question . I haven't yet installed either of the 2 bit version . I heard if I install now the 32 bit version and later on decide I want to install the 64 bit version I can using the same license keys , true or not true ? Though keeping with the use of one license install on one computer .

BTW I have a full retail Ultimate version

Thanks

Edited by TerryFox

yes you can install the 64 bit version even if the 32 version has been installed before. as long as only 1 version is installed at a time, you will be within what the eula allows. if you dual boot both on the same system, you might fall into a gray area in the EULA that im unsure about but i know you can switch back in forth as much as you need.

No , I only will have one license installment on one computer only . I just wanted to be sure I can use both bits if need to be . Like for instance now I will install the 32 bit and if I ever decide I want to try 64 bit I can using the same license keys . I'm more or less waiting to see how 64 bit will develop . I heard there drivers issues and softwares . I know my computer can install both bits but I wanted to be sure I can use both bits if need to be . Thanks for your help :thumbup

One thing to be aware of is that you can't upgrade directly from 32-bit to 64-bit - it would require a clean install.

Same if you wanted to downgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit - there are just too many differences for a setup process to automate.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't upgrade directly from 32-bit to 64-bit - it would require a clean install.

Same if you wanted to downgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit - there are just too many differences for a setup process to automate.

Yeah I just notice that when I try to make a copy of the 64 bit using xp 32 . I was told something about booting off the cd . I couldn't install it , I wasn't trying to . I was in the process of a backup dvd copy . Thanks for the tip . I will keep that in mind .

Edited by TerryFox