cant update winnt.sif via nlite

brute force

i am a newbie to Nlite. i tried checking stickies and did not see this. i used nlite to make my test cd (before drivers etc). i see that id like to make changes so i make the changes manually to the winnt.sif file. when i got back to nlite and make changes there, when process is complete, my changes are not in the winnt.sif file. i continually need to make the changes to the sif file after i run the nlite process. in summary, changes that i make with nlite are incorporated , of course, into the sif file and changes i make manually are not incorporated. how can i get nlite to recognize the new sif file instead of the old one when i am making changes in lite. thanks for your help

nLite doesn't use the winnt.sif from the source, it creates a new one. So of course changes you make are lost. You can change the file manually after process has run, just before clicking "Make Iso", but if those changes are not managed by nLite, they will never be in the file made by the process.

nLite doesn't use the winnt.sif from the source, it creates a new one. So of course changes you make are lost. You can change the file manually after process has run, just before clicking "Make Iso", but if those changes are not managed by nLite, they will never be in the file made by the process.

ok, thanks for your prompt response. its a real pain to go thru the process and put in some changes manually repeatedly because nlite doesnt handle something (like Autopartition). ill have to deal with it. thanks again

You can make a entries.ini file that will edit winnt.sif... post the stuff you want added and I can make one to show you how

wow. ok. ill do that.

for example, id like to comment out the Autopartition line of [data] and add "repartition=yes" to the [unattended] section

Here is the addon that will add and remove all you want, just add it as a hotfix WINNT.SIF_Editor.7z

thanks. not quite sure i understand. is the name of this file supposed to be entries.ini? not much info on "addons" or entries.ini on nlite site. then just always add this file to the hot fixes that i am adding? what if i need to change the SIF file some more? thanks again

Here is the addon that will add and remove all you want, just add it as a hotfix WINNT.SIF_Editor.7z

thanks. not quite sure i understand. is the name of this file supposed to be entries.ini? not much info on "addons" or entries.ini on nlite site. then just always add this file to the hot fixes that i am adding? what if i need to change the SIF file some more? thanks again

Its a addon, just add it as a hotfix and it will edit winnt.sif during your nlite session

If you want more added just ask and I can add it, not sure I can explain how you can do this. Its not that easy to explain to someone who is just started.

2 ricktendo64

are these the right syntaxis to tell setup not to partition and not to format, sir ?

-----------------

[ExtraFileEdits]

WINNT.SIF|AutomaticUpdates="No"<NEXT>Autopartition=0|AutomaticUpdates="No"<NEXT>; Autopartition=1|1

[EditFile]

WINNT.SIF,Unattended,AddRepartition,AddFileSystem

[AddRepartition]

Repartition = No

[AddFileSystem]

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

-------------------

thank U

Edited by amnesia

2 ricktendo64

are these the right syntaxis to tell setup not to partition and not to format, sir ?

-----------------

[ExtraFileEdits]

WINNT.SIF|AutomaticUpdates="No"<NEXT>Autopartition=0|AutomaticUpdates="No"<NEXT>; Autopartition=1|1

[EditFile]

[AddRepartition]

Repartition = No

[AddFileSystem]

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

-------------------

thank U

dont know. that is what i am trying to get from you. havent tried it yet. but i will be trying today. thanks ricktendo64. (i have other changes im working on, like trying to find how i can do this unattended and resolve a computername problem---need to be able to change computer name) :)

2 ricktendo64

-----------------

[ExtraFileEdits]

[EditFile]

[AddRepartition]

Repartition = No

[AddFileSystem]

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

-------------------

thank U

dont know. that is what i am trying to get from you. havent tried it yet. but i will be trying today. thanks ricktendo64. (i have other changes im working on, like trying to find how i can do this unattended and resolve a computername problem---need to be able to change computer name) :)

looks like it didnt work. it got stuck at that part of the hotfix process. i had to stop it and now i need to start all over (nlite detected bad blah blah blah). can you elaborate on your answer. thx