iTunes 7.6

Tripredacus

iTunes 1.6 won't install because it errors out saying it requires Service Pack 2 or higher. Is there a way or a switch to install this on a non-service packed XP? Or what does an MSI check in the registry when it looks for the service pack? Can I spoof it so it will install anyways?

Today iTunes greeted me with a message saying my iPod was unusable unless I upgraded to iTunes v7.6. I went to apple.com to download the new version and it greeted me with this message:

quicktimeisforfags.jpg

Any help?

Ya upgrade to XP SP3 and update itunes. Why would you even run XP RTM, its crapola. Itunes 1.6, are you nuts?

There is no way around it, it requires the changes in SP2+. Update to SP3, your system right now is really vulnerable. XP SP3 will give you performance and reliablity, there is absolutely no reason not to update. Same thing with iTunes. Just update the system already

Edited by Seven Alive

Ya upgrade to XP SP3 and update itunes. Why would you even run XP RTM, its crapola. Itunes 1.6, are you nuts?

There is no way around it, it requires the changes in SP2+. Update to SP3, your system right now is really vulnerable. XP SP3 will give you performance and reliablity, there is absolutely no reason not to update. Same thing with iTunes. Just update the system already

Updating is not an option. And my computer isn't vulnerable just because its using RTM. It has been modified to have various features of SP1 and SP2 without installing the actual service packs. And besides, Windows Update does not work because my XP is VL and it checks if the PC is on the domain (which it isn't anymore) and if it isn't, then Windows Update rejects my COA, even though it is legit.

Basically I need info on what MSIEXEC checks when it looks to see if the update is installed. I do not use all the extra features in iTunes, I only use its ability to copy files to the player. If it becomes too much of an issue, I may have to look into alternate software for the iPod but i'd really not like to deviate from using the Apple software.

Then just get one of those activation methods if its such an issue. You really should be running at least SP2 and yes there are several exploits your not protected from.

You don't need windows update to get the service pack, here is a dl link for SP3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

No activation or check or anything.

Anyway you have to have at least SP2 for the new iTunes as it uses a few features it introduces.

You can use other software to sync your ipod, like Amarok for Windows, i think even winamp supports ipod syncing.

Edited by Seven Alive

Well I got it installed by using the admin switch with msiexec, but it still won't open because iTunes itself checks for the service pack. I did attempt to change the registry so it registered as SP2, but iTunes doesn't check the registry for SP information, it checks winlogon.exe. I reshacked winlogon.exe to change the version info, but I know full well I can't replace it while Windows is running. It also appears that I can't get into the BIOS on this computer because the system registers a USB keyboard AFTER it accepts keys for BIOS entry. So the idea of booting off a USB Key and using NTFSDOS to back up and replace the winlogon.exe idea went out the window. Maybe if non-Apple software won't cut it, I'll dig up a PS2 keyboard to get into the BIOS to change my boot order.

A curiosity, even tho I changed the information for version, CSDVersion, etc in Windows NT\CCS, after the reboot the new values I added disappeared automagically.

Edited by Tripredacus

sorry late in posting, you can try doing a RenameOperationOnReboot, which will move or rename a file before system services are started, that should work. Google it to find out how to do it.

Honestly there might not be much you can do, either use non apple software (itunes sucks on windows anyway) or get SP3.

Here's an update, as I have fixed my problem with a work-around.

I contacted Apple Support and they recommended connecting it to a Mac to downgrade the firmware. They said that this would allow it to work with previous versions again.

I called up my cousin because she had a Mac, and to get it taken care of. It turned out she also had the older iTunes installed, and when she tried to update it, she was told her MacOS was out of date. So that idea went out of the window. She recommended I take it to the Apple Store and have them downgrade it.

Well, the guy (Mac Genius) at the Apple Store evidently are not of the same mental capacity as Apple Tech Support. They reset it for me, but said that it would still only work in an iTunes 7.6 software, because the firmware does not dictate the software version required, but the "software" that is installed on the iPod itself. I was pretty bummed at this point.

So I downloaded the SP2 redist, and was about to install it when... I just wanted to try spoofing the service pack again. So I connected up the iPod when suddenly... WINAMP DETECTED IT!

Here's how that happened. A couple days before, I tried out the new Winamp version. I did not like it because it was really slow compared to the older version when it came to ffwding within tracks, and there was a pause when crossfade was enabled. So I had uninstalled it and reinstalled the older version. Well even though the older version did not have iPod support, the uninstall for the new version must not have removed all of the components. So the old Winamp detected the iPod plug-in, and thus the iPod. It was also able to erase and copy songs to it.

My last step was to uninstall the iPod updater, iTunes and the Apple Updater. The best part is that Winamp can also copy album art to the iPod as well, and the sync time seems to be faster.

So once again I've managed to NOT have to install any service packs to get something to work.

I am just wondering why are you so against installing service packs.

I only install things I need, not go about and install everything just because I can. I do seem to be the only person I know who operates their computer this way, and I am also the only person I know that hasn't had to reformat their OS HDD ever.