hyper threading

terrannz

I've created my first stripped down game+internet XP image and appart from forgetting to insert my sound drivers I have lost hyper threading.

I need to do some research to tell me if I really want hyper threading on my game install as only one of my games specifically mentions it. But in the mean time. What setting did I mess up? and can in change the setting manually?

I remember a setting that seems likely from which I selected ACPI

I remember a setting that seems likely from which I selected ACPI

That's the "Computer Type" (HAL) in Unattended part.

You can stil change the HAL in the Device Manager.

Hyperthreading requires one of the multi-processor HALs. It must be enabled in the BIOS.

-Normally the ACPI Multiprocessor PC is installed by default.

The performance enhancements are generally not spectacular: there is still just one core.

-Hyperthreading is not equivalent to dual-processor or, multi-core with Core multi-plexing.

So I am not sure that up to 2x improvement can ever be realized. If have read about 1.2x at best, depending on the main application.

I actually installed the processor a few weeks ago finally replacing my aging celeron and I had hyperthreading right away in XP and my stripped down XP and Ubuntu. It's not until I used nlite to create a bare bones XP that is so stripped down it'll do nothing more than play games and run a web browser (really really fast I should add) that I lost hyper threading in that install only.

After some more reading I've decided it's no real loss for playing games but I next want to make an ISO for my main install of windows with SP3 and drivers and license key. In that one I do run "normal" apps that will take advantage of HT so I need to nail down what I messed up to loose it.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will try HAL in the device manager but I would like to get it sorted all OOBE :thumbup

There are several ways to utilize a multi core cpu efficiently. Speaking of own experience i usually set any games to go at core 1, leaving core 0 for system, as is default anyway. People have different way of doing this, you can either at some programs hex-modify the launcher, use a batch file with a utility that start the game/program exe at specified core only and with priority f.example.

I like Launchnset, its very simply, albeit a bit buggy on adding/removing things, but it works perfectly.

Tho it misses out on setting priority of launched game, it works enough and has nice small gui.

Performance wise, i'd go with a .batch file for each game, like cmd.exe /start game.exe /REALTIME, but u also need a thirdparty tool OR

modify game exe files, to launch it at only 1 core.

I know at least this is very poplular in the CPMA/Pro-mode arena, and possibly quake4 and similiar, not really into that new stuff myself.

Anyway, it will give you fps boost, unless the game you play is dualcore+ optimized, its the way to go.