1.7.5 with w2k and FDV

strainda

When I used FDV file set approx. 1 year ago I had no problems however, after 20 attempts over the past (2) weeks I am not so lucky this time round. Here is what has changed over the past year:

*HFSLIP 1.7.5 (downloaded 2 weeks ago)

*Newer FDV file set(downloaded 2 weeks ago)

*only thing added to virgin source(I386) is uniata.sys

*I am currently running HFSLIP on a w2k, IE removed(FDV) machine

Below is the error I keep getting(in VMWARE) and my log file. Could someone take a look and offer any suggestions?

hfslip.rar

I tried a re-download of SP4 and HFSLIP is not showing any files "not copied"?

ADDITIONAL:

Are there any problems with the new Dx9 redist as is in HF folder using FDV?

Is there a way NOT have the IE icon shown on desktop with FDVs set?

I can see why that's happening, but it surprises me that no one mentioned this before. Maybe no one has ever used FDV's fileset with WMP9.

Windows 2000 setup places logagent.exe and laprxy.dll in the Program Files\Windows Media Player folder, but they are expected in system32 with WMP9. When WMP9 is slipstreamed, HFSLIP normally modifies TXTSETUP.SIF so these files are copied into the system32 folder directly and a post-install command is executed at T-13... except when using WMP reducer files in HFCLEANUP (in which case HFSLIP won't tamper with the copying of logagent.exe and laprxy.dll, and won't ask to execute the post-install command).

You aren't using the WMP reducer files, so HFSLIP will update TXTSETUP.SIF and add the post-install command. But apparantly FDV's fileset removes the references to logagent.exe and laprxy.dll from TXTSETUP.SIF again so these files never get copied, which causes the post-install command to fail. This is the error you're seeing.

In the mean time, you should be able to work around this by specifying WMPREDUC=1 in HFANSWER.INI. HFSLIP sets this variable internally when slipstreaming WMP9 if WMP reducer files are detected. Setting this in HFANSWER.INI doesn't have any side effects in your case because it's only used by the part of the code that slipstreams WMP9.

I can see why that's happening, but it surprises me that no one mentioned this before. Maybe no one has ever used FDV's fileset with WMP9.

Windows 2000 setup places logagent.exe and laprxy.dll in the Program Files\Windows Media Player folder, but they are expected in system32 with WMP9. When WMP9 is slipstreamed, HFSLIP normally modifies TXTSETUP.SIF so these files are copied into the system32 folder directly and a post-install command is executed at T-13... except when using WMP reducer files in HFCLEANUP (in which case HFSLIP won't tamper with the copying of logagent.exe and laprxy.dll, and won't ask to execute the post-install command).

You aren't using the WMP reducer files, so HFSLIP will update TXTSETUP.SIF and add the post-install command. But apparantly FDV's fileset removes the references to logagent.exe and laprxy.dll from TXTSETUP.SIF again so these files never get copied, which causes the post-install command to fail. This is the error you're seeing.

In the mean time, you should be able to work around this by specifying WMPREDUC=1 in HFANSWER.INI. HFSLIP sets this variable internally when slipstreaming WMP9 if WMP reducer files are detected. Setting this in HFANSWER.INI doesn't have any side effects in your case because it's only used by the part of the code that slipstreams WMP9.

Thanks TC. I will give it a whirl in the next 24hr and report back if needed.

(like me, those that don't like the M$ browser may not be a fan of M$ media player either?)

ADDITIONAL:

1). Is there a way to not to have the IE icon shown on the desktop with FDV file set?

2). Little fuzzy with Fred's site and the purpose of turning off WFP:

*Why would w2k users typically do this?

*Do you FIX or REPLACE the I386\SFCFILES.DL_(with the hacked(empty)).

*Is anything else needing to be done if I were wanting to do this?

Again, You and the HFSLIP gang rock! TY :thumbup

The logagent error happens to me too but I just click through it. It won't harm anything at all. I created my own updated WMP9 exe anyway just a week or so ago. The error's totally ignorable.

ADDITIONAL:

1). Is there a way to not to have the IE icon shown on the desktop with FDV file set?

Yes! Open IE.INF

Find [file.copy.dt] and put a semicolon in front of iexplore.lnk

2). Little fuzzy with Fred's site and the purpose of turning off WFP:

*Why would w2k users typically do this?

You know, that's a good question. For a while it was the Thing Everyone Did, more popular than free money. It speeds up setup by a bit, but then the problem is that your DLLs can be overwritten by old software... No thanks. I find WFP useful... but I just provide people the option if they want it. I think even experts are better off leaving WFP on.

*Do you FIX or REPLACE the I386\SFCFILES.DL_(with the hacked(empty)).

In the FDVFILES folder, delete the "OFF" in SFC.DL_.OFF and SFCFILES.DL_.OFF. Then, HFSLIP will automatically replace your SFC files with my versions which are turned off. Do not use FIX or REPLACE.

*Is anything else needing to be done if I were wanting to do this?

Nope, that's all you have to do to turn WFP off. There is a bit of backstory to the whole empty SFCFILES.DL_ and why you could use just that and not SFC.DLL, or use both if you wanted to. I won't get into it though; it's a bit boring ;)

Are there any problems with the new Dx9 redist as is in HF folder using FDV?

My fileset will not conflict with DX9 integration at all.

EDIT

While I have you reading, when you're in IE.IN_ in a text editor, find the following lines and put semicolons in front of them:

HKCR,"CLSID\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}\InProcServer32",,,"%SystemRoot%\shdocvw2.dll"
HKCR,"CLSID\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}\InProcServer32","ThreadingModel",,"Apartment"
HKCR,"CLSID\{EAB22AC3-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\InProcServer32",,,"%SystemRoot%\shdocvw2.dll"
HKCR,"CLSID\{EAB22AC3-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\InProcServer32","ThreadingModel",,"Apartment"

I discovered that this section causes an error when installing Adobe CS1 and CS2. It might cause problems with other software that have flash-based installation splash screens. I only discovered this with the Adobe CS installer though, and I use a LOT of software. I plan an updated fileset soon. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by fdv

Thank you.

It sure is nice to see the awesome and quick support from both FDV and TC!

(Also nice to see M$ continue support for w2k)

TC:

edit to HFANSWER.ini eliminated the (FDV-harmless) error. I'm touchless again WoooWhoo!

FDV:

Thanks for the tips. Done. I will report back in approx 24hr if I run into any problems.

:unsure:

Q1:

Are the "Windiz out of service" rumors true? If so, is there another alternative you recommend?

Q2:

Is there a way to integrate a Readme.txt onto the desktop of a new install?

(this would be a nice pointer and reminder for do's and dont's -system32 goodies, KB's, weblinks, etc..)

Q3:

Can the w2k SFC hack be used to integrate a desktop Theme? From what I read -it is needed for a XP theme.

Please advise me on the above questions. TY

My next project(i hope) will be to experiment with TinyVISTA.

All the best. Keep up the excellent work!

:thumbup

Q1:Are the "Windiz out of service" rumors true? If so, is there another alternative you recommend?

Yes, windiz ceased updates. They did not get a takedown order, but from now on it looks like we'll have to patch manually.

Q2:Is there a way to integrate a Readme.txt onto the desktop of a new install?

Huh... I never thought of that. It's actually quite easy. I am leaning toward doing this in the next fileset. There certainly are things I need people to be aware of. Good idea.

Q3:Can the w2k SFC hack be used to integrate a desktop Theme? From what I read -it is needed for a XP theme.

Win2k doesn't use digitally signed themes. You can use any .theme file(s) that you find, but good luck finding one for 2000!

Yes, you can check your OS for updates using hfnetchk. Look at this link and about 1/2 way down is a post by tomcat. Download the zip file and follow the instructions. I have been using this method ever since he posted that zip. Yes, it still works like a champ. No webbrowser is required. Very nice utility imho. :thumbup

Sweeeeet!

What a long lost gem! It would be nice to see this one in a repository.

Has anyone bundled the (2) pieces and created an addon? Is it possible?

I'm interested in learning how to make addon's. What do you recommend?

Your patience and understanding is always appreciated. :rolleyes:

Thank you for having replied FDV.

If you could be patient with me and my asking if you could point me in the direction of how I may integrate and toss a folder on to the desktop with a README.TXT file inside. It has been approx. 15 years since my last batch file and/or VB script. I would like to learn to make and share addon's that lend themselves nicely with HFSLIP. I'm not sure if an addon could be made to toss the folder with contents on the screen?

HFSLIP member loyalty and support is the best and second to none. From what I have read at this forum over the past few years, you are a cornerstone of this community. :wub:

Thanks for having replied once again!

BTW: they said there was snow here today in Ont. CAN. I did not see any! :no:

Well, I downloaded 2.1, read the instructions and came up with this command line:

Mbsacli.exe /catalog wsusscn2.cab /wi /nvc /nd /xmlout

I am trying to RUN/execute it with all files in same folder and it just won't work.

mbsacli.exe

MUAuth.cab

wuredist.cab

wusscan.dll

catalog\wsusscn2.cab

Can you lend a hand with this? :wacko:

The logagent.exe problem should be fixed with HFSLIP 1.7.6 (among a few other enhancements related to FDV's fileset). You can remove the WMPREDUC=1 fix but it isn't really necessary as HFSLIP 1.7.6 no longer uses it.

I don't know if you realize this, but /catalog is a switch and not a subfolder. Have you tried putting wsusscn2.cab into the same folder as the rest?

Well, I downloaded 2.1, read the instructions and came up with this command line:

Mbsacli.exe /catalog wsusscn2.cab /wi /nvc /nd /xmlout

I am trying to RUN/execute it with all files in same folder and it just won't work.

mbsacli.exe

MUAuth.cab

wuredist.cab

wusscan.dll

catalog\wsusscn2.cab

Can you lend a hand with this? :wacko:

install mbsa normally, then you need to download two files, one is MUAuth.cab and the other one is wsusscan.cab. once downloaded, place both files in %appdata%\MBSA\2.0\cache\ then run the mbsacli command sans the /catalog wsusscn2.cab reference, e.g., Mbsacli.exe /wi /nvc /nd /xmlout and it should work just fine.

you will have to create the MBSA, 2.0 and cache folders under %appdata% of course

i haven't tried MBSA 2.1 which just recently came out but this method used to work perfectly with v2.0. if it doesn't work with v2.1 try changing the %appdata%\MBSA\2.0\cache\ to %appdata%\MBSA\2.1\cache\

Edited by johndoe74

Sorry for butting in here, but i simply had to drop by and say thanks a million for the tip on TC's automated hfnetchk/wget script - it's nothing less than a masterpiece IMHO :thumbup