Server 2008 project!

Tripredacus

To my disappointment, I was unable to add Hyper-V because it said the CPU was not supported, even tho the server has the 2 dual core Xeons in it... What exactly does Hyper-V require anyways?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008...icalInformation

You need Xeons running Intel's VT from this list (Select "Intel Virtualization Technology" from the "Supported Features" list and click the "Filter on Selections" button). I am not sure if it's a guarantee that everything on that list will work, but it's for sure anything not on that list isn't :).

Perhaps there is something I need to enable in the BIOS, or install from Intel's website so Windows sees that it is capable of running it. We are going to need to use Hyper-V to support our legacy customers (ie those who require 16bit Ghost to be used).

I still have a bunch of notebooks to image using the 2003 as the WDS, so my role migration will have to wait until those are done...

This would be an excellant time to look into Microsoft Deployment ToolKit. Using this and the MultiCast Feature in 2008 you could image all your laptops in a relatively short time :)

I am already using that, but we can only use the deployment features provided by the OPK toolkit, not the "corporate" toolkit. Right now, these notebooks can image in 3 minutes using the 2003 WDS. So with this relatively short image time, it is not a problem to do one at a time, since we don't get that many orders for that notebook model at once. But, using WDS on the 2003 for production is not the original idea, its just that some network controllers (software controlled like Broadcom57 and Realtek 8111B) do not work with our current imaging system.

In other news, the 2003 server started acting up ever since I joined GEARS to the domain. It now sees our legacy server as being a 'rogue' DHCP server, even tho it is available as a managed DHCP Server in UNCLESOCKS' DHCP management control panel.

In other news, the 2003 server started acting up ever since I joined GEARS to the domain. It now sees our legacy server as being a 'rogue' DHCP server, even tho it is available as a managed DHCP Server in UNCLESOCKS' DHCP management control panel.

Was it re-authorize the DHCP server to refresh the records on it

Was it re-authorize the DHCP server to refresh the records on it

Well I am thinking that it is getting this error because DHCP on UNCLESOCKS is disabled, and I am authorizing the legacy to run DHCP instead. I did it this way because I couldn't get any computers to boot via PXE with DHCP and WDS running on the same computer.

Well here's some bad news...

Cluberti might better understand this situation.

See the original plan was for me to create a test server, then a second server for production was going to be built. In fact, we had already gotten in the parts for the new server, sans (no pun intended) the hard drives.

An executive decision was made and in order to save on the system costs (we are getting one next to nothing after we requested eval products from Intel) they would take the hard drives in my test server.

So basically the powers that be have scrubbed my project. They are taking the chassis, one of the RAID controllers, all 8 HDDs and the PSU, and MAYBE the CPUs from my project so I'm basically up the river without a paddle.

Thanks a lot for all of your help and input! I am sure I may dream up another project to make a thread about in the future!

Gotta love corporate priorities... I work in the IT department at my place, and we were asked a few months ago to prep a couple of very powerful workstations for another department. Afterwards these PCs got lost in red tape and ended up stuffed in a closet. We "found" them the other day and set them up in our area. I fully expect someone to walk by, see them, and re-allocate them. They are cool, but I am not getting too attached ; ;

yeah, you have to fight and show the business that what you are doing will have an huge impact down the road. It is all dollars and ROI to them, if you can show that testing now, will save you tons in troubleshooting, incedents, and lost productivity time. You should be able to convince them that you should be able to get the parts you need :)

Well the parts were taken to build a new more compatible 2008 server, except that this project is being transferred to someone else too. I think I'll still get to manage WDS on it once it is up and running but who knows.

For those of you who are running Windows Server 2008 now, I noticed in the 'help' files regarding enabling shadow copies, that you are now able to store them on a different volume. This was not possible in Server 2003. Has anyone tried this?

So basically the powers that be have scrubbed my project. They are taking the chassis, one of the RAID controllers, all 8 HDDs and the PSU, and MAYBE the CPUs from my project so I'm basically up the river without a paddle.

Thanks a lot for all of your help and input! I am sure I may dream up another project to make a thread about in the future!

Might as well be running it on eeePC :D

Might as well be running it on eeePC :D

So far I am still waiting to get my hands on the 8GB EEE PC. I've only gotten the 4GBs so far... They work with XP Pro and can only be imaged with ImageX and not the GHost we use. They are cool little things for sure.

what are the plans for the Server?

What Role is it going to play in the environment?

What applications and depedencies is it going to have?

lots of questions to ask :)

also i would worry about using this server if it is not going to be approved for 2008. That means you are going to have to fight drivers that aren't validated for 2008 and with the re-designs that happend you might be causing yourself more hassle then it will be worth

Yes, i have the similar problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow. You guys must be in H Core enterprise environments...nice...

Yessir. :)

:thumbup

Oh, I put in a request to get a rack unit to be put in the production area. It will hold 3 servers, the primary, the backup and the legacy with the busted raid. All in all, we will have about 3TB of network storage!

Actually, I am a small business consultant, and one of our clients is a small architect firm. One of their servers is a Windows Server 2003 x64 box with 8 GB of RAM and 2 TB of storage. Their data usage is NUTS! Another server is SBS 2003 primarily for Exchange and a few other things. They have an FTP server and they also have a server dedicated to ISA 2006 and their plotters.

I've been doing a bit of work with our new 2k8 server, as the guy it was assigned to doesnt know how to use WDS. :sneaky:

Anyways, we just upgraded it to 16GB of RAM so it runs real nice. We also are running a 1.7TB RAID 10 for storage, and some smaller capacity mirror for the OS.

Right now we are battling this issue:

http://www.msfn.org/board/System-Error-123...ve-t120006.html

Also, right now we are experiencing a lag issue but can't seem to trace it. The server is operating with 2 teamed (Team 0) gigabit NICs using Cat 6 cable on a gigabit switch. When we are deploying an image, network utilization is average 95%. When capturing an image, util is 2% or less, with spikes up to 40%.

Doing a comparitive study, this means on a capture the 2008 is getting an average of 87Mbps from a client on a gigabit network. Compared to my 2003 server which gets an average of 58Mbps on a capture on a 100Mbps network. While 2008 network util is 0.40% to 2%, the 2003 gets 43% to 76%. But these numbers lie. Both servers are experiencing approximately the same capture speed, but experience different deploy speeds.

What could be causing this limit on the capture (aka data-in) speed?