The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is Corrupted or mis

Scorpius Maximus

I am using HFSLIP to make a simple updated installation disk following to the "T" the instructions and including Tomcat76'S Windows XP Sp2 dynamic hotfix list. I have not removed anything and I have not included anything other that recommended; Microsoft Hotfixes and Updates, Dontnet1.1 & Java switchless installers from Ryan's site.

this is the error I get when I try to install the created CD:

The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is Corrupted or missing

Value 0 on the line in Section [sourceDiskFiles]

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup press F3

Attaching TXTSETUP.SIF and HFSLIP.LOG.

This worked fine in an early run but I wanted to remove some program addons that were not installing. Now I can not get it to work.

I have re-done this from scratch, checked all my Hash checksums, re-checked everything many times and burned up about 10 CDs.

I am a newbee but this shouldn't be that complicated. It has to be something simple I am overlooking?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Do have some DVD-RW's, Thanks.

Attach.7z

Edited by Scorpius Maximus
content of both files removed, please attach your files instead!

Get some rewritable CD's. ;)

I've tried attaching log files here before and found out that it doesn't work. It would probably help if you simply copied the [sourceDiskFiles] entries in your txtsetup.sif in here or at least scrutinized them and compared them against the files that you have. I had the same error message when I originally used Fred Vorck's winnt.sif and forgot that to remove the entry for universal SATA driver when I decided to no longer use it.

If you have added any extra driver entries to your TXTSETUP.SIF, scrutinize them for syntax errors, wrong paths or misspelling. Sometimes even upper case letters where lower case letters should be or vice versa can cause problems or spaces where they shouldn't be.

There's a hell of a lot of information on the Txtsetup.sif file here, just do a search for it in this forum.

Edited by Dislocated Time

Okay Scorpius, here's the problem. Windows XP's TXTSETUP file is a total mess and has literally 6 or 7 [sourceDiskFiles] entries in it. So, I have consolidated everything into one section so that you can troubleshoot better.

Use this file, but before you do, I want you to open LAYOUT.INF and do a global replace of ,_x, with ,, (two commas).

Then use my TXTSETUP, put it right into SOURCESS/i386. This time, setup will give you a line number, and we can go from there. You might also need a modified setup dll, I don't remember, but best to use it anyway. It is titled 2003 but it works for XP also, just delete the "2003-" part.

txtsetup.zip

Hey guys, Thanks for the help.

I am slammed at work right now so it might take me a couple of days to try to troubleshoot this. I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Let me ask, I, of course, want to fix the problem, but I also like to know the cause. Why would I get this kind of problem? It worked fine more than once before even with addons that did not install correctly. I followed the instructions page for page, letter for letter. I have also noticed that I can run HFSLIP without changing anything and get iso files of different sizes!? Weird, huh?

It's weird to get different ISO file sizes if you don't change anything.

1) Do a chkdsk X: /r (where "X" is the drive letter of the hard drive or partition that contains your HFSLIP working folder) to check for errors on the hard drive.

2) Remove the SOURCE folder, create it again and copy over your CD again.

3) Run HFSLIP.

Hey Tomcat,

Funny that you said suggested that. This is exactly why I am trying to do an updated Installation Disk, actually for about three different PCs in my Home/Office, all with different OS's, Windows, Home, XP & MCE. All of my installations are corrupted or damaged. I want to do them all over from scratch.

I made a new 50 Gb boot partition on my new PC, (I just built it) installed with my original MS Windows XP Pro SP2-C OEM disk, just to do this Updated HFSLIP installation disk. I plan on running nLite on the Sourcess files so I can tweak my install but I get hard drive errors every time I turn around and, as I have said above, I can not get a working HFSLIP integrated installation disk. I want this one computer right before I try to fix the other two. (They are all usable, just not right.)

The only boot partition that does not have corruption or damaged installation files is my "Games" boot partition, which is great if I wanted to play games (Unreal Tourn, Doom, Quake) all day but I have work to do.

I have repeated Disk Errors on all of my system partitions on all of my PC's. I can do a low level HD format, a clean install and by the time I get a few courses of updates form Microsoft or a few programs installed, I have stuff going haywire.

I Defrag like mad. I run CHKDSK, and more often than not, CHKDSK /r before I install anything anymore. I have used System Mechanic & CCleaner to fix registry errors and remove junk. I disconnect from the internet before installing most programs. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am not a expert, I'd love to learn a lot more, but I thought I knew what I was doing.

I have deleted and re-installed my "Projects" boot partition a number of times to do this integration and they have all failed with the same error.

Just wanted to vent. TNX

I don't know if you realize this, but if chkdsk reports bad sectors you should return the hard drive if it's still under warranty. You should always do that immediately after buying it.

If you have disk errors, it's highly unlikely you'll get HFSLIP to work properly since a lot of disk space is used during the HFSLIP run.

Thanks again. I don't think it is my hard drive. As I said, I seem to have the same problem on several different computers, mostly noticeable when I am installing software. I have run several hard drive tests (SeaTools, etc.) and they come back clean. I have run MemTest86 on my Memory. My current configuration is Raid 1, w/ 2 WD 750 SATA 2.0 HDs on a EVGA 680i SLI mobo, Intel Q6600, 2.4 GHz Proc, Kingston DDR2 1200 running at 800, (I thought I was purchasing SLI Ready memory) dual EVGA Gforce 8800s, Dual LG SATA 2.0 DVD-RWs, all brand new. I finally built the computer I wanted!! I have the same problem on my 160 GB Hitachi HD on the Dell XPS. Checkdisk says there were errors but it does not say there are bad sectors. I think it involved security descriptors. I'll try to make note the next time.

Can you remove ProgramAddons Notepad++ 4.8.5.cab and ProgramAddons Spybot Search %26 Destroy 1.5.2.cab? I'm not sure if the first is problematic but the second most surely is.