Needed software to password protect PDF

tgossen

I don't think there is such a thing. I know you can make a PDF that is locked so you can't print out copies or it has hidden data so that when it prints it uses up the ink or a Water mark.

I would just use a compression method that has a password feature. It is more simplier then having to hope the next computer you use has the same PDF lock method otherwise you will not be able to view the file.

Also you don't want to have this feature in PDF at all unless your a private business and have coperate theives running around.

If it is for home use just use a compression method that has a built in password.

The PDF format does support password protection natively, actually. To my knowledge, the only way to edit a pdf is to use Adobe Acrobat, which is quite expensive. However, there are free tools that can make new PDFs from other document types, such as from MS word, etc. and that can password protect the documents they create. I like to use PDFcreator. It has a lot of useful features, is free, small and works well. It's open source as well. :D