Intel 945GM

weEvil

Well, when you update your BIOS, you are updating the GPU part too (if there are any changes, most of the time it´s only CPU IDs).

Just go to the manufacturer website and check the support pages. if you can´t find it then give us the model number that is written on the back of your laptop.

Actually...Intel usually includes BIOS updates for the GPUs in the graphics driver download. Download the zip version of the latest 945 graphics driver. Inside the zip is another zip file, vbios_945gm.zip. It contains a utility and two other files.

Disclaimer: I've always noticed them there but never used them before. I take no responsibility for any potential damage so try this at your own risk. It's generally recommended not to upgrade any firmware or BIOS unless you have having a specific problem addressed in said BIOS update.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Actually...Intel usually includes BIOS updates for the GPUs in the graphics driver download. Download the zip version of the latest 945 graphics driver. Inside the zip is another zip file, vbios_945bm.zip. It contains a utility and two other files.

Disclaimer: I've always noticed them there but never used them before. I take no responsibility for any potential damage so try this at your own risk. It's generally recommended not to upgrade any firmware or BIOS unless you have having a specific problem addressed in said BIOS update.

I always wondered about that. This is what google turned up:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2689206

or specifically,

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=278

aha, finally, the video BIOS mystery is fully solved : http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-003938.htm

"The VBIOS must be combined with the system BIOS by the system or motherboard manufacturer before it can be flashed.

End users should contact their system or motherboard manufacturer for a system BIOS update. This system BIOS update may also contain an updated VBIOS.

System BIOS updates for Intel® Desktop Boards

A reference VBIOS and VBIOS TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program is included in the ZIP format graphics drivers. These files are intended only for developers of products based on these chipsets.

To use the TSR VBIOS, the ZIP format graphics drivers must be unzipped to a folder on the hard disk (eg. C:\INTEL), the VBIOS ZIP file must be extracted to a folder on the hard disk (eg. C:\INTEL\VBIOS), and a line (eg. C:\INTEL\VBIOS\d81x2553) must be added to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file that runs the TSR at startup. Please note that this TSR will not work with operating systems that do not support TSRs, such as Windows* XP, 2000, Me, or NT*."

If you have an Intel Mother Board (not just a chipset), this might be very applicable. If you have some other MoBo that simply uses the chipset, I would guess that the Intel VBios update is not for you. You need to check with the MB manufacturer. In conservative mode, I would simply update the MB bios, and apply the latest drivers only