Optimize Vista Business for use as Server in Peer Network (Workgroup)

forumsid987

I have 6 client computers, one 'server' computer. they're on a peer network (workgroup) that uses a shared folder on the server. they are all running vista business x32.

Everytime the server has been on and the clients transfer files back and forth (nothing big, just 10-1000kb at most) for a 4-5 hours suddenly one or two clients start running SUPER slow. The server becomes almost unresponsive to their file requests. If i go over to the server and use it, it appears to be fine. If i restart it, the clients are automatically able to transfer at normal speeds again (mind you i dont have to restart the clients).

What is the problem here?

I:

1) replaced the network card

2) did the netsh autotuning disabled thing

3) disabled tcpip v6

4) disabled QOS packet scheduler

5) changed the network cable and the port it uses on the hub

6) Power management set to high performance (thanks for the thought GrofLuigi) I had this set from the second i booted up the computer

7) Removed Symantec (thanks to nitro & club) but to no avail :(

What else can i do?

The server is not running any extra software, except symantec corp...which every client also runs.

it's a brand new dell optiplex 755 core 2 duo, with 2gig of ram and 2 80gb 7200 rpm sata2 disks on raid 1.

This problem makes ZERO sense to me. Please help!

I'm THINKING it mighttt be something about how many simultaneous connections the computer can have to it?? Is there anyway to increase this? I know xp pro was 10 and that was due to a licensing issue but i'm wondering if it's lower with vista??

Edited by forumsid987

Yeah, Symantec antivirus installs file system filters, but also network layer filter drivers as well. If the console "feels" OK while the slowdown occurs, but everything on the network appears really slow, DEFINITELY start with removal of antivirus software. You do not want network (or filesystem, for that matter) realtime filters on a server.

ive never tried it on Vista but if this was XP id suggest you could try patching tcpip.sys to change the connection limit

http://www.msfn.org/board/Vista-TCPIPSYS-p...ad-t114124.html

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/17/d...nnection-limit/

Oh and of course the standard disclaimer:

WARNING: editing files is bad. Microsoft wont love you anymore. Blah blah blah

ive never tried it on Vista but if this was XP id suggest you could try patching tcpip.sys to change the connection limit

http://www.msfn.org/board/Vista-TCPIPSYS-p...ad-t114124.html

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/17/d...nnection-limit/

Oh and of course the standard disclaimer:

WARNING: editing files is bad. Microsoft wont love you anymore. Blah blah blah

Thank you, I'll try this this afternoon. I'm looking at the msfn.org instructions...I don't get it? I see one part is just a registry edit, for the second part, should I be opening tcpip.sys in a hex editor?

Edited by forumsid987

The registry edit part has no effect now.

As for the other part, there are patchers available. However you should definitely open up the event log viewer and check whether there are event 4662 occurences ; if not, there is no need to patch (and considering you only have a few clients, I guess you won't really have a lot of them).

Also, are you using windows's file share, i.e. the network places one ?

And is vista updated with SP1 ? While I'm not using vista, I know SP0 doesn't deal so well with file transfers.

The registry edit part has no effect now.

As for the other part, there are patchers available. However you should definitely open up the event log viewer and check whether there are event 4662 occurences ; if not, there is no need to patch (and considering you only have a few clients, I guess you won't really have a lot of them).

Also, are you using windows's file share, i.e. the network places one ?

And is vista updated with SP1 ? While I'm not using vista, I know SP0 doesn't deal so well with file transfers.

Yep i'm using SP1 and windows file share. I looked through all the event logs and i did not see a single 4662 occurance. I guess that means I don't need to bother with the TCP/IP business.

Any other idea's?? I am just so lost here with this issue.

Yep i'm using SP1 and windows file share. I looked through all the event logs and i did not see a single 4662 occurance. I guess that means I don't need to bother with the TCP/IP business.

i could be wrong here but event 4226 is generated when the OS tries to make to many OUTGOING connections but your connections are all incoming. im not sure if a 4226 event would be generated for an over maximum of incoming connections (if it does then an attacker could flood a windows machine and bloat the logs)

its just a theory but the tcpip.sys hack might still be worth a shot.

i could be wrong here but event 4226 is generated when the OS tries to make to many OUTGOING connections but your connections are all incoming. im not sure if a 4226 event would be generated for an over maximum of incoming connections (if it does then an attacker could flood a windows machine and bloat the logs)

its just a theory but the tcpip.sys hack might still be worth a shot.

It's only for outgoing connections. Really, I don't think this will be useful.

Maybe have a look at TCPView : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897437.aspx

You shouldn't have a lot of connections listed there according to what you described. If you have a lot, this will be the sign of the problem. Run it at the server boot and watch whether the list grows or not (you may as well run it at any time).

It was symantec!! The uninstall didn't go through properly the first time, redid it...voila!

Piece of garbage! Freakin corporate edition, you'd think it would work well in a business environment...retards. I hate them so much right now, but thank you all for your help!!!

Just installed NOD32, hopefully I wont have the same issue then I can just purchase the full version.