Is it more or...

Legolash2o

In the last 4-5 installations, with lots removed including WinSXS. Even with Component Cache removed in vLite Windows Updates still works fine even though it says on vLite they wont install. Has anyone else experienced updates installing fine with WinSXS removed?

Just Curious.

Lego

Edited by LegoLiamâ„¢

LegoLiam™, some hotfixes might work (the ones for which the sxs folders are kept) but you might StumbleUpon™ some that don't even if the component is not removed for them.

Good test would be the RTM with component cache removed and try to install 100 hotfixes :)

Because SP1 does not have a lot of hotfixes to test on.

I have not reconfirmed.

Majority of it yes, by entering -extreme switch when starting vLite, you will have a new component listed, Component Cache.

Not recommended to be removed, read the description carefully.

maybe with comp by comp winsxs removal we could experience it better

there are same comps that not that important to updating or hotfix

i guess its could be removed separately from winsxs

or not that important if they get broken after while

and even more config them as not "updateable" so the windows update wont give error

like it was removed

with langs and drivers its could save lots of backup files but mostly getting cut by anyone

Edited by aviv00

with experience of ppls we could say what safe to remove what is not [that wont be effect from hell dll or update problem or hotfix]

ms choosed to make backup files to all files

• 3 weeks later...

I only leave bout 6 components, Paint, Notepad, Photo Handler thingy, game explorer, BITS, Windows Updates and something else. but i do i remove WinSXS, i even mount the wim, use a duplicate file finder and remove all the duplicates in WinSXS (saves about 60MB) as well as some other stuff. and all my updates install fine.

Every update that appears i integrate into my next install, but ye... the new ones still install. I've done about 2 more installs since started this topic and still install fine with Component Cache removed.

im perrty sure that is the problem winsxs remove the backup as well

so the update cant check the orginal files

i gonna test it soon

ill save the backup files and use winsxs removal [using vlite] i should have update working fine

hope so