IBM ThinkPad 600 Error After Loading

Redhatcc

I have an IBM ThinkPad 600 that once i load it with an OS works fine, then after restarting the computer after i have installed all my desired applications and what not, it returns in the bios on boot asking to insert a boot disk or floppy disk, like the HDD is blank or it cant detect anything on it to boot from.

1. Tried switching out ram and hard drive with known working hard drives and ram+-.

2. Tried several reloads and does same thing over and over again.

3. Was going to update bios but does not have floppy (mabe by cd but never tried it like that?)

Basically been a pain for a few days now, any input on the situation would be awsome!!

Thanks

Just an idea, mind you, but is it possible that there is some checksum error in the CMOS or a bad battery, that causes to default to booting from floppy (or other media) bypassing HD?

:unsure:

Or is the HD (or it's MBR) actually blank?

About updating the BIOS though CD, you should have no problems, just create a "normal" BIOS update floppy image and use that as boot image for an El-Torito floppy emulation CD.

jaclaz

thanks for the reply

Ok heres the very weird part...

Once i load the computer up and all, and reboot it comes up like the HDD is blank right, well once i get it reloaded again does the same thing after i restart. BUT if i load the machine and restart, get the problem where it wont boot to the HDD, i take the HDD out and hook up to another machine.... it is blank o.O

is it a bad batch of hdd's (i tried about 3) or is the laptop itself going crazy or am i going crazy lol?