Question about registry key

Aloha

MDGx, thanks for the links. I'll read them later.

Isn't the problem here that it is one of the settings a theme sets?

Would the solution be, therefore, to reconfigure this setting into your individual themes?

Tell me how, SlugFiller. I guess you talked about the Skin Configuration Settings file in every theme folder. But I don't know what I should change.
Either that, or switch themes less often.
Please tell me three acceptable reasons why I shouldn't switch themes more often, and I'll choose your reply the best answer to my question, gentleman!

Thanks in advance (whether you give a reply or not).

Tell me how, SlugFiller. I guess you talked about the Skin Configuration Settings file in every theme folder. But I don't know what I should change.

Well, I don't actually use themes. In fact, I'm not sure my 98SE is theme-able. So I'm no expert on how to re-adjust the skin configuration settings. Closest thing I've got is Appearance Schemes in Display settings.

Please tell me three acceptable reasons why I shouldn't switch themes more often, and I'll choose your reply the best answer to my question, gentleman!

Well, I would think for the same reason people don't switch their desktop images every Friday - Why would you want it to keep changing appearance?

Really, I would think this sort of thing is a "pick your favorite and stick with it" sort of deal.

I would think the pain in your eyes for having to deal with a new color scheme every short period of time would be reason enough to cut down.

Actually, I don't change the skins very often, SlugFiller (Good, I can type your name easily). But when I don't feel like playing a game and have nothing to do, I'll modify some themes to suit my taste, and for fun. And while doing this, mostly changing the colors, I have to change themes and apply them several times in an hour! What for? To see how a theme changes and if I am pleased with it or not. The registry key keeps changing to the orginal one as I said in the first post, and I find it annoying. That is the reason why I made this thread. I won't choose your reply the best answer, but I like it anyway.

PS. You know, SlugFiller, I don't change the desktop image every Friday! I change it every day!

You don't need this registry key to be correct while "debugging" your themes, you can just set it after you finish, no?

That aside, if you're already "debugging" your themes, wouldn't it be "within your scope" to just look up those two values and set them (and then debug to make sure it works)?

SluggFiller, I am quite lazy. I need something that will do everything for me in this case. Now you tell me to find the registry key and change it manually every time I finish modifying the skins! Do I understand you right? I didn't think you would give me such a helpful idea! After you suggested switching themes less often, I thought this time you would advise me not to use the computer any more!

My problem is not big and I am pleased with the alternative solution. Thank you for trying to help, SluggFiller.

And NO thanks for any more reply!

Well, it was already suggested that you use regedit at startup, I can't think of anything more automated than that. Changing the settings within the theme description would also do the same, but with less resource costs, and less hacking. Aside from those two options, changing manually every time, and changing manually on less occasions, I seriously don't see what other options are there.

Maybe if you can give a hint as to what sort of alternative you're expecting, exactly, because I think the entire combinatorial range has been covered here.

Just thought of one more possibility: It's possible to edit the KernelEx source code to make those two registry entries ineditable. Just a matter of adding a small file in "api/Kernel32". It's sort of like taking out flies with a heat-seeker.

I don't know how to start, SluggFiller. I don't change the themes these days because I stopped modifying them. I even have "rem REGEDIT C:\yourfile.reg" in the Autoexec.bat. But, (I hate this "but" so much) when I read your two posts, this sentence sounds so interesting that I have to reply:

It's possible to edit the KernelEx source code to make those two registry entries ineditable.
Now, take a deep breath before reading on.

1. If you are really interested in this topic and willing to help, then tell me exactly and shortly what I should do. I am not an expert, so don't talk to me as though I knew everything. And I'll ask you for explanation if I don't understand something. This means, it may take you a lot of time to write boring posts and answer silly questions.

2. If you don't have time and cannot stand my attitude, then no need to go farther. This means, you can forget my thread totally.

Just choose 1 or 2, SluggFiller. The results of both are already accepted with pleasure by me. I'm not kidding, it's true and serious. I'll take back the last sentence I said in post 20. This is what I want to say now: thank you for replying.

Note: I don't consider my question a problem any more. So, take it easy.

Open Notepad, copy paste this code and save it under RegWindowsMetric.vbs (or whatever you want to name it - with .vbs extention).

Then doubleclick the vbs file anytime you need to restore the registry key

I didn't test it as I didn't want to mess with my own registry but feel free to reply if it deosn't work

HTH.

Title = "Restore My WindowsMetric Values"
If (MsgBox("Restore WindowsMetric registry keys?", vbYesNo, Title) = vbNo) Then
wscript.quit
End If
Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\CaptionWidth", -500, "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\CaptionHeight", -315, "REG_SZ"
MsgBox "WindowsMetric registry keys restored.",,Title

note: You can use modify this code for writing any other registry key when needed.

You seem to have missed the sentence that followed:

It's sort of like taking out flies with a heat-seeker.

True, changing KernelEx would indubitably solve your problem, but the slightest mistake will live you with a non-working system, or worse, cause data corruption. The prior is not that big a deal if you know how to use DOS, though, since KernelEx automatically backs up any system files it alters. The

That being said, if you want to push through, here's some of what you'll have to go through:

-You need to get the KernelEx source. KernelEx is a sticky on this forum, and the source is linked to in the first post.

-You'll need to figure out how to compile KernelEx. This actually has two parts: You'll need to learn how to use GenPatch (provided with the source) to create your own APIs. Then, you'll need to learn how to compile a patcher from GenPatch's results.

-You'll need to write an API replacement for RegSetValueExA/W in advapi32. You can look at existing APIs in the KernelEx source in the subfolders of "\KernelEx\src\api". A prime example is "\KernelEx\src\api\Kernel32\GetVersion.c" which also demonstrates how to read custom options from KEXVER.INI. This could be useful to allow you to customize the registry entries you wish to "lock", giving a more robust offer.

-You may also need to overwrite RegOpenKeyExA/W to keep track of the key's path as I see no way to retrieve that from the handle.

Needless to say, you'll need at least some programming knowledge. If the KernelEx source code looks like utter Greek to you, you probably don't have a chance of making this happen. In that case, your only other choice is to ask Xeno86 for such a feature and hope he agrees to create it (though I wouldn't bet on it).

If you do decide to go ahead with this, and at least have enough basic knowledge to get your initial bearing, I'd be more then willing to help you with whatever issues you run into.

This thread which required 1 simple answer is almost 3 pages now of bulls***.

Because nobody posting there can google nor trying to understand the problem.

Answer: NO. Even if you change those registry values every 1ms, it won't fix your buttons when you change theme. You're trying to fix effect, while you should fix cause. The cause is the Display Properties applet setting rectangular buttons, and you can't simply fix it.

Fredledingue,

Your script file takes the same steps as when I run the reg file from the RP7 (I'll call it TReg from now on). I mean I will have to double click the file, then choose Yes, then OK, and finally Log off if I want it to take effect immediately. It works fine, and thanks for making it, Fredledingue.

SlugFiller,

OK, I am scared to death when reading your post! I thought you would give me some codes, commands and tell me to do some simple things like what people here told me. I didn't think this registry key requires me so much knowledge. Let's see: You need to get ..., You'll need to figure out ..., You need to learn how to ..., You'll need to write ..., and finally, you'll need at least some programming knowledge. I'll quit, SlugFiller. I won't bother finding any more solutions.

your only other choice is to ask Xeno86 for such a feature and hope he agrees to create it
Forget it. This VIP's name is mentioned a lot in the thread of Developer Team but he doesn't have time to give a reply, let alone doing something for me.
If you do decide to go ahead with this,
I decide not to go ahead with this, thanks for your information and offer to help, SlugFiller.

Tihiy,

Even if you change those registry values every 1ms, it won't fix your buttons when you change theme.
This is the difference after I run TReg and have it take effects:

So I don't understand what you mean. This reg key takes effect on some themes like Luna Homestead, Luna Metallic, Windows XP. With themes having special caption buttons, like BlackMesa, EtherBlack, Longhorn, it doesn't change anything.

Answer: NO.
I or we've already known this since post 2 by Th3_uN1Qu3. What we are talking about now is an alternative solution if possible.
This thread which required 1 simple answer is almost 3 pages now of bulls***.
Why don't you prevent this disaster sooner, by giving your precious comments when I wrote the first post? As usual, thank you for replying, Tihiy! Edited by Aloha

Aloha,

You can remove the Message boxes from the script so that there will be no "OK'or "Yes" to click if that's anoying.

Like that:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\CaptionWidth", -500, "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\CaptionHeight", -315, "REG_SZ"

Then it will be totaly silent.

HTH

Fredledingue, many thanks. This script works great. I'll use it in case I want to restore the registry values instantly. Logging off takes only 2 seconds so it doesn't matter at all. Thanks again, friend.