Adding stuff with nLite

nomadturk

When i am creating a new release of my modified XP, i am following these steps, over and over.

1. Take an XP without SP.

2. Apply SP1 and SP2, save as an iso.

3. Apply post-sp updates to this, save as an iso.

4. Check if it's working properly via virtual machine.

5. Include addtional software and drivers meanwhile do the tweaks, remove components.

6. Check if it's working properly via virtual machine.

7. If it's working OK, integrate driver packs, create a new iso.

8. Check if it's working properly via virtual machine.

9. If it's working OK, install it on my own machine to check the performance and find out bugs, if there are any.

At every new release, at anything i want to change i'm repeating these steps starting from the step 5 since i've already built a properly working windows iso with updates and service packs.

What i wonder is that would it be OK if i

Open nLite, add drivers, finish integration, close.

Open nLite, add some basic stuff which won't be updated easily, finish integration, close.

Later, when needed, add the applications i need, finish integration, close.

Lastly, do the tweaks.

What i mean is, i'm asking these because i'm bored of doing the same things again and again. For example i don't want to add sata drivers and themes and user settings more than once. I wonder if it will be a problem or not if i run nLite multiple times after completing these, leave out adding additional software and removing stuff (since mayhap, some software i'm adding may add some new stuff there along with some new services such as .net services). Would it corrupt anything?

What you say?

Edited by nomadturk

1. Take an XP without SP.

2. Apply SP1 and SP2, save as an iso.

I say you're doing too much work. You only need to apply SP2 as it contains all of the updates included in SP1.

But the rest of your process looks reasonable.

The way you do it seems to take a LOT of time!

In my case, I have a CD containing Windows XP SP2 (no post-updates). I always take that as a source and I integrate addons, updates (Xable), drivers, remove components, tweaks and unattended in one shot. Save the ini and work with it the next time I want to test something or create a new cd. Never had any problems the way I do it, nor any corruptions.

To be on the safe side, I would not dot anything to a already nLited source (with the exceptions of updates).

But the way you do it is fine, just takes a lot of time.