How to give VISTA the performance of Xp for gaming?

twista

Mind you Tribes 2 is *seven* years old (it also has a fully working widescreen mode, which was ahead of its time in 2001!). It not only predates Vista, but it predates 64-bit Windows, AND XP, so the fact that it runs, and runs well, is a testament to Vista's compatibility.
Same here, with Diablo 2 LOD, no problems at all. Just set the compatibility mode well...

Vista Ultimate sp1

Still kind of vague. Is it 32bit or 64bit?

It's general knowledge that the 64bit versions of ANY M$ OS is plagued with incompatibilities, be it hardware drivers or software.

I have Vista Home Premium x86 on my gaming rig and haven't seen an unsolvable issue yet. My wife's a member of a TF2 clan and hasn't seen so much of a hickup of lag ingame. I'm an "old school" gamer and have accumulated 50+ game titles over the years. Granted I haven't installed every game or even tested half of them on Vista. But so far, what handful of oldie-but-goody classic titles such as Diablo II LOD, Freelancer (with mods too), and Call of Duty: United Offensive to name a few, are ones that I have installed. I haven't seen an issue that I couldn't find a fix for with a little research through G@@GLE! and M$'s Live Search. My more recent games include CoD4, Crysis, every Official release of HalfLife2/Counter Strike:Source/TeamFortress2.... well.. might as well say all of Valve's current and backlog game list :), HellGate:London, the whole F.E.A.R series and EA's Battlefield series. Happily I'd like to point out that I run ALL my games at Highest settings (except Crysis which I run just a hair shy of max settings) :thumbup

...since amd sucks for ... games

Commonly.. most hard core gamers would go AMD over Intel. Intel's a very good numbers cruncher and media handler and always has been. AMD on the other hand have had a few advantages that have helped it handle games more aptly. But that's considering you're looking at comparing same tier cpu's. Though with the advent of Intel's quad core and extreme editions recently, AMD's lost a bit of that "gamer" edge, but more then likely it will all balance back out.

As for a part of my basis tool of comparisons I like to visit tomshardware.com for their extensive benchmarking/comparison charts.

For anybody likening Vista to Linux .... :rolleyes::thumbdown

My brother runs Linux game servers so I've seen first hand that you have to be a real tech enthusiast to delve into open source OS's, whereas M$ OS's can be used by 5yr olds.

-------------------------------

My rig: XFX's MB-N780-ISH9 LGA775 nForce780i 3xSLI mobo w/ Q6600 2.4G cpu, 4x1G SLI Ready DDR2-1066, 2x SG-500GB SATAII HDD, 2x BFG 8800GTS-512MB (G92)*factory OC'd@675MHz* displaying Vista Home Premium 32bit on a Sceptre 22" Widescreen LCD w/ a 2k:1 contrast ratio@2ms GTG response. 802.11n 300Mbs wireless network.

Edited by 69-047