Windows Server 2008?

RamGuy

Question for you guys: How does it compare to Server 2003?

Since you all are the ones who just had to install it as a desktop, I'm assuming you might have done the same with 2003 (over XP).

I've seen a few folks talk about the advantages over 2003 as a server, but no one has really compared the 2 as desktops.

I have no reason to buy 2008. I only installed 2003 as a desktop really by chance after we ended up outsourcing our web apps. I wouldn't have coughed up the dough for 2003 as a workstation either, but boy was I impressed with 2003 as a desktop. A bit faster? Yes. Rock solid stable? Big time. 2003 just doesn't seem to labor as hard as XP. I do understand that there core differences between XP and 2003, but I also think that the Vista and 2008 core is nearly the same as 2003.

With everything I've heard and seen concerning Vista, I couldn't image that 2008 could beat 2003 as a DT. I would imaging that hardware would count. Is that correct? But all things being equal, does 2008 perform better as a DT than 2003?

• 5 weeks later...

Windows Server 2008 is faster than Vista, but it is not faster than Server 2003 by any means.

I would recommend sticking with windows XP for daily usage.

Check out more info on info different versions on Server 2008 at

http://www.infotechguyz.com/server2008.html

I've just got my eyes upon the Windows Server 2008..

And rumours claims it to be better then Windows Vista no matter what you are doing on your computer, so it's not just good for servers and companies, but also private persons who do regular stuff and gaming?

Windows Server 2008 is supposed to be the fastest operative system by Microsoft, EVER!

How much truth it's in all of this I have absolutely no idea, to be honest I have never even considered to use a Windows Server edition before.

So what's the difference between Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista?

What is different between the "normal" versions (Windows XP / Vista) and "server" versions (Windows Server 2003 / 2008)

What problems might you run into using a server version?

What benefits do you get from running it?

Does vLite support Windows Server 2008?

And how do you config / tweak Windows Server 2008 to perform optimal for your needs?

So what do you think?

Are these rumours true?

I tried W2K8 again per the suggestion above, but my TV app just couldn't "see" my PVR-150's input (tuner/composite/S-Video).

Sorry for late reply: you have still to install the Hauppauge Vista drivers :thumbup

I am using it with GBPVR with no problems.