Update problem - Windows Update attempt to install Microsoft .NET Fram

cdplayer

It appears that there is a problem when Windows Update attempt to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)

I see Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is installed when I look under Add and Remove Programs. Also Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 plus its hot fix is there as well.

Windows Update can’t installed Microsoft .NET Framework Service Pack1 (KB110806). Windows Update has tried at least six times to install the service pack.

I looked in the Error logger (Event Viewer) and I found some interesting things:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1025

Date: 4/10/2008

Time: 5:33:54 PM

User: ComputerName\username

Computer: ComputerName

Description:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1. The file C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll is being held in use by the following process Name: SecureUpgrade , Id 4228.

One more…

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1023

Date: 4/10/2008

Time: 5:33:59 PM

User: ComputerName\username

Computer: ComputerName

Description:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 - Update '.NET Framework 1' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework20_Setup581F.txt.

Thanks!

I had a similar problem. It wanted me to download and install serice pack 1 for office 2007, but I had already installed it via the network folder in the enterprise edition. I also had some other problems with Windows Update failing. I just decided to try out the SP3 releases (beta) and it fixed the issues. .NET really isn't that important, but if you want to take the risk, try installing SP3.

I had a similar problem. It wanted me to download and install service pack 1 for office 2007, but I had already installed it via the network folder in the enterprise edition. I also had some other problems with Windows Update failing. I just decided to try out the SP3 releases (beta) and it fixed the issues. .NET really isn't that important, but if you want to take the risk, try installing SP3.

Thank you for replying Niven!

Just the thought of installing SP3 makes my heart skip many beats! Yikes!

I am happy that SP3 cleared your problems!

Cheers!

Uhhhh... Google on SecureUpgrade reveals Wave Systems Corp. software installed and running. This is apparently blocking your dotNET update. What exactly is it (wave.com gives no specifics and I've never heard of this company)?

Try disabling it or Stop the Process indicated (CTRL/ALT/DEL). and try your dotNET update again.

Uhhhh... Google on SecureUpgrade reveals Wave Systems Corp. software installed and running. This is apparently blocking your dotNET update. What exactly is it (wave.com gives no specifics and I've never heard of this company)?

Try disabling it or Stop the Process indicated (CTRL/ALT/DEL). and try your dotNET update again.

This is a program that was pre-installed on my DELL computer when purchased. It is a security system

that DELL has installed. I've just started using that computer so finding out exactly what SecureUpgrade is

has been placed on my to do list.