DVD Player Problem

I got something going on with a DVD player (non-computer related electronics). On certain disks, it locks up or stutters. I checked the disk and the player both and they're as clean as far as I can tell. But what's confusing me is that it's only on certain disks. Is this a sign the player's biting the dust or is it just old and not working on certain newer disks?

(asking this here in case someone might know something to try for certain)

My dad's DVD Player (a Sony) does the same thing. It seems like its dirty but running a cleaner doesnt seem to make it get any better. Sometimes it corrects itself, other times it just freezes. But his does it with DVDs and Audio CDs also. I'd say its more "biting the dust" than an inability to read new media. Although newer media may have different versions of copy protection on them, that won't make it do that. You'd see problems a lot earlier on, or the disc wouldn't play at all.

I tried looking at it but there isn't much you can do on your own. Try running a lens cleaner on it. Or if you feel inventive, try about finding the service manual for your model, or see if a repair is worth it. But they are pretty cheap nowadays. It could be something easy like a belt or the grease on the gears needs to be replaced, or a big deal like the optics could be going out of the acceptable tolerance range.

The funny thing for me is I have never had a problem with my DVD player. And my DVD player is one with the worst DVD playback reputation: the PS2!