DVD Drive Problems

I've been having problems with my DVD drive recently. Its a Lite-ON ATAPI 16x +/- DVD-RW Dual layer drive. Suddenly, here is what it is doing:

1. Sees burned DVD-Rs as blank (such as my OPK 1.1 DVD).

2. Sees retail movie DVDs as blank*

3. Is able to read and launch PC CD-ROM game NHL06.

4. Is able to read and launch PC DVD-ROM PCGamer DVD from Zombies issue.

5. There are 3 region changes left, currently on Region 1.

PC info: XP Pro VL

*movies tested: Total Recall, Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life, Transformers Season 1 Disc 1. All three play in PS2.

The region changes were caused previously because I have some Region 2 Transformers DVDs I watched a year ago or so.

Also, this drive has already started exhibiting the "Eject of doom" issue that Lite-On drives seem to have. For example, my computer at work has a similar Lite-On drive, and it never ejects unless I use the paperclip. It has no problem reading discs.

All Discs work in other players, like the PS2 or my work computer. I haven't bothered cleaning the drive because it can read other discs just fine. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

... and it never ejects unless I use the paperclip
Keep a DVD/CD in it and it should be fine. It’s just a problem with sticky "center-plates".

I’m sure you cleaned the lens and dusted it out so I can’t think of any thing else...

EDIT:

I haven't bothered cleaning the drive because it can read other discs just fine.
Hmmm... you didn´t...

funny? :blink:

Try to hook the drive in another system to see if it works well there. If not then you have you answer; clean the drive inside or get your self a new one.

And that was not mended to be funny... ;)

funny? :blink:

Try to hook the drive in another system to see if it works well there. If not then you have you answer; clean the drive inside or get your self a new one.

And that was not mended to be funny... ;)

Sorry, it looked like you did a fake edit. I forget that this forum has an edit delay before the note shows up on the post. :sneaky:

Sorry, it looked like you did a fake edit. I forget that this forum has an edit delay before the note shows up on the post. :sneaky:
No, in this case it´s that I´m not a normal member...

Oh IPB group settings... I didn't even notice you were a global. Anyways I haven't had any time to try new stuff with the drive. Maybe this weekend I can give it a shot.