Folder 'locking' using desktop.ini

Basically 'Fun with desktop.ini'...

For some reason my start menu had been 'locked out' and all access to it redirected me to 'my computer'. After poking around it with the command line, I figured out why. Somehow a desktop.ini got into there that was causing the startmenu folder to be treated as a redirect.

Fixed it and played around with the desktop.ini and 'target.lnk' to use as a way to 'lock out' folder access from general prying eyes (other users for example) without having to use 'hidden' files. Only drawback is, it doesn't prevent the folder from being deleted unless it is a system protected folder. You will not be able to [un]lock it using windows, you'll have to use the command line (dos box command line is fine too). Notes are in the archive. Just place the desktop.ini and target.lnk in the folder to be locked and apply readonly and/or system attributes to the folder. Do a refresh and voila, won't be able to open it.

Word of caution, ANY accesses to the folder will be denied (exception being the command line). Meaning cant open files, can't search it, etc. so be careful what folder you are 'locking'.

I have no use for this but would figure others to find it interesting. :)

Note: This may or may not work on other system setups. The system I noticed/tried this on is Win98se with revolutions pack 7.1. Haven't access to my other systems to tryand if it works on regular setups. Your Mileage May Vary.

FolderLock.rar

Edited by Chozo4