Logon issue

Smiley357

I’m an admin with user machines using XP pro OS. We use roaming profiles. I have a logon issue. When I log into computers in my local area it takes 30 sec. or less. When I log into remote computers that are located out of state some take me 25 minutes to log into. But some only take a minute or two. I think this might be an authentication issue. This is why I think this. When I connect to a user’s computer and try to do a runas from the command prompt the time that it takes for the runas command to complete is very close to the same amount of time it would take me to log onto that computer. 25 minutes for runas to open an admin cmd window is painful to watch. I have tried runas with and w/o profile. Are there any tools to see if this is the case? Or, does anyone have any suggestions?

have you tried executing runas with the /noprofile parameter?

C:\>runas /?
RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/savecred | /netonly] ]
/user:<UserName> program

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/savecred] ]
/smartcard [/user:<UserName>] program

RUNAS /trustlevel:<TrustLevel> program

/noprofile specifies that the user's profile should not be loaded.
This causes the application to load more quickly, but
can cause some applications to malfunction.

if it still took the same amount of time, then it could be an auth issue but if it runs quicker, its because its pulling your remote profile to the machine when you runas

Honestly, that's a long time for creds to validate. You might want to consider a network trace to see if the problem machines are all hitting a specific domain controller, or going over a specific WAN link, etc, that could be causing the delay.

Geek

Yeah I’ve tried using /noprofile. It’s the same amount of time.

Cluberti

I can’t ping the computers b/c that has been disabled. I did a trace rout and most come back with 6 hops. About 5% time out on the 6th hop. What I noticed was that one of the machines that timed out is right next to a machine that didn’t timeout. The 2 machines are plugged right next to each other in the same switch.

Here is a trace route of a machine that takes me 25mins to log into.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms

2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms

3 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms

4 10 ms 15 ms 15 ms

5 56 ms 51 ms 51 ms

6 53 ms 51 ms 51 ms

Anyone have any other ideas??

Edited by Smiley357

IcemanND

There are no errors in the event viewer. I don’t connect with a VPN since all machines are on the same network. I use RDC or a few other RC software depending on what I need to do and none seem to make a difference in the connection time. I have connected to some machines that where on VPN and logged the user off then I logged on and some machines would take 20-30 mins for me to log on.

Only ther thin gi can think of is your profile being corrupted. Try backing up your existing profile, then delete it and let a new on be created and see how it goes.

My original question was going to be "how big is your profile" but wasn't sure how roaming profiles work with RDP.

I’m not thinking that it’s a corrupt profile since this happens to several users. Just not to the extreme of 25-30 mins. I keep my desktop clean to keep the file that has to be downloaded small. My documents and other personal files for my profile are just links back to the server where the files are stored. So this leaves my profile that is d/led to 195M