Net Use Fails in pe 2.0

tomatthe

Having a problem connecting to a network share from a machine booted into winpe 2.0.

The machine hosting the share is winxp+sp2

I have about 20 machines all lenovo thinkpads booting to a winpe cd that connects the the share and image themselves from it. The machine that I'm having trouble with is an r61, I have several of these machines all work fine with the exception of 1. I have removed the hard drive from the problem machine, and tried booting from the cd, I always get the same error msg about the username or password being incorrect.

"system error 1326 has occurred"

net use O: \\%servername%\%sharename% /user:%user% %password%

Using the exact same syntax on an identical computer, it connects to the share with no problem. I setup the xp host machine to not require a username/password to connect to the share, and from all machines except the problem one they will connect using just:

net use O: \\%servername%\%sharename%

The problem machine again asks for a login/password and fails when entered. I tried using an external keyboard, with the same results.

The machine having the issue can ping the host computer without issue. I've booted it to several different winpe cds, and usb keys always getting the same error msgs's. I've reset all bios defaults on this machine, same error messages. When booted into windows I can connect to the share without issue.

I've googled and searched the forums, and only found one similar posting, but it looked like it was resolved by changing the syntax around on the connect string, however this did not work for me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I've since setup a share on a laptop computer, and connected the two machines using a cross-over cable with the same results. It would seem to be a hardware issue, but I just can't get by the fact that the nic works fine in windows.

Edited by tomatthe

It has been my experience that the domain is not implicitly attached to the username. Try logging in using domain\username, something like:

net use O: \\%servername%\%sharename% /user:%servername%\%user% %password%

I've tried it every way possible really, fairly sure it's not a syntax error in the connection, especially since it works on every other machine I've got.

I'm pretty much out of ideas here, but tks for the input.

Unfortunately these are laptops, so I can't really just pop in another nic. I did try using a usb to Ethernet device but winpe didn't seem to want to pick up the adapter.

I work directly with the lenovo hardware techs, but I'm having a bit of a hard time convincing them it is hardware, since it does appear to work normally in windows.

I think I've run out of options though, probably just going to write this off to being hardware, and turn it into an internal loaner for now.

your syntax seems wrong! I use the following:

net use z: \\server\reminst password /user:user

Your examples had the password at the end. Also make sure the account you are using has share and NTFS permissions for your target folder, or else it won't connect because the user can't see the folder. And of course, verify you can ping the host, or try using the IP address instead of the hostname in your UNC.

The password can be in either place, but tks for the advice. All of the other machines are using the exact same account to access the share, I did recheck the permissions though and everything looks good.

Server is pingable, same error msg when using ip to map the drive.

If you added Scripting to your PE image, see what kind of message you get back using VBScript to map the drive.

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "O:", "\\SERVER_NAME\SHARE_NAME",,"USER_NAME","PASSWORD"

If you want to use variables for anything, don't use the double quotes.

You will find it is a harware issue. I see hundreds of new systems each day go through here each day and very occasionally, one system will not connect to the network correctly within winpe2 yet are fine in their own o/s or pe1.x. Most of these are IBM/Lenovo but we do get the occasional HP.

I wasted so much time on getting this fixed, flashing this, that and the other that now I just fail them and they are earmarked for manual/dvd installations.

Waiting for one to come through so I can seize it and test with pe2.1.

I have been having this exact same issue doing nearly the same thing you have been trying and getting the same results. It appears randomly. I hesitate to mark the board as failed for 2 reasons:

1) ANY other OS works correctly on the unit under test. I have no issues mapping the drive.

2) The host system with XP has 2 NICs, one on a static IP to the UUT, and the other is DHCP going to our network. When I get that error, if I immediately try to connect using the domain credentials for the other NIC card, it maps. Weird stuff.

Any ideas?