Problem with messenger.msi

jvidal

Hi!

I have a bug report. I followed the instructions you guys gave me and placed windows messenger 5.1 (messenger.msi) in HFSVCPACK_SW1, but it is not installed, moreover, the version that comes with XP doesn't get installed either.

This happens with XP, with 2k it works fine.

Hope TC or tommyp can look into this.

bye!

Assuming that it's a bug might be a bit too soon ;) The version of Windows Messenger included with Windows XP should install just fine, unless for example you have disabled its installation via WINNT.SIF. Can you please post your WINNT.SIF? I personally don't install Windows Messenger 5.1 via HFSVCPACK_SW1, but via HFSVCPACK by using a custom, silent, self-extracting archive which does nothing more than running the MSI-file silently and adding a few keys to the Registry. This works for me.

Hi!

I have not disabled installation of Messenger, just added it to HFSVCPACK_SW1, like I was told. The weird thing is that it does work with W2K, but not with XP.

How can i post my winnt.sif file?

No, I'm using an unmodified version of windows XP.

I don't use those versions, i only asked about using hfslip on modified versions of windows, but I don't use them myself.

Edited by jvidal

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really speak for Windows Messenger 5.1; I've only done tests with MSN/Live Messenger.

Windows Messenger 5.1 should upgrade Windows Messenger 4.7 (unlike MSN/Live Messenger) so something could be going wrong there. The install switches may prompt the installer to uninstall Windows Messenger 4.7 and stop there.

What happens if you let Windows setup install WM 4.7, and when setup has completed, you execute messenger.msi manually?

Also, as far as I know, there's a version for Windows 2000 and a version for Windows XP. Are you using the same installer?

• 1 month later...

Hi again!

Well, if I install it manually after windows has completed setup,works fine (that's how I usually do it BTW).

I am using the same installer, but that same installer works fine in both windows (2k/xp) when installed via double-clicking the file.

I recently noticed something: after windows is installed, I looked in the system event viewer and found an error complaining that messenger.msi cannot be installed because it doesn't have permission to write some registry key.

Maybe it should be installed "impersonating" the "local system" account or something like that.

hi, i've got msnmsgs.msi v8.1.0178 in my xpmce build and msnmsgs.msi v7.0.820.0 in my win2k build both in hfsvcpack_sw1 and they install just fine during setup. hope that helps in some way.

Edited by johndoe74

Sorry, Dude, But I'm talking about WINDOWS messenger here, not MSN/LIVE messenger.

Anyway, I installed on a VM only to reproduce the error. The exact error is (translated from spanish):

"Product: Windows Messenger 5.1 -- Error 1406. The value DW0200 cannot be written on the key \Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed. System Error. Check If you have access rights on this key or get in touch with technical support personnel"

Error is 11406, generated by MSIInstaller (please note the discrepancy with the text about the error number)

User is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

And immediately after that, another error: "Product: Windows Messenger 5.1 Installation Error", also generated by MSIInstaller, error code 11708.

bye!

Edited by jvidal

Yeah, I just tested it myself and can confirm it. I first thought it was because most of the silent .NET installers remove that key but don't recreate it, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I'm not sure if this is of help, but I did one more test using the latest pre-alpha of HFSLIP 2.0 with messenger.msi in the HFFIRSTLOGON_SW1 folder and it installed fine (at first logon).

That's good news. A question, though, is HFSLIP 2.0 fully functional? Any differences between it and HFSLIP 1.7x?

BTW, Is there a way to make HFSLIP execute messenger.msi at first logon instead of at T-13?

Maybe compressing it to a self-extracting exe which will execute messenger.msi upon decompression and placing it in the appropriate folder? (this is not my idea, it's someone else's)

bye!

Edited by jvidal

A question, though, is HFSLIP 2.0 fully functional?
Well... If you count in the known limitations it should be OK to use.
Any differences between it and HFSLIP 1.7x?
There are many. You should start out clean (blank folder), read the entire changelog, then populate the folders as necessary. What isn't mentioned is that DX9 cab files are no longer supported; you need to have the redist executable in HF, but that should be fine because HFSLIP 2.0 creates a custom cab package to be used the next time you run it.
BTW, Is there a way to make HFSLIP execute messenger.msi at first logon instead of at T-13?
Actually, there is. I just checked and you can have it installed silently at first logon with HFSLIP 1.3.0+ if you put it in the HFGUIRUNONCE folder.