Disabling the "Task Manager Disabled Message"

the_travisty

Hi All,

We have recently had problems with the pupils at the school I work at holding down Ctrl+Shift+Esc and bringing up loads of "Task Manager is disabled by your system administrator" message and crashing the machine. We don't want them to be able to run the task manager, just remove the message from showing. If this isn't possible, what about disabling the shortcut rather than the message. Just a thought.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Travis

Run Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Delete the key named DisableTaskMgr

Thank You Neo for your response.

However, as I outlined in my first post, I do not wish to re-enable the task manager as the pupils shouldn't have access to this resource. We just need either the subsequent message or the hotkeys disabling - NOT the task manager enabling again.

Regards,

Travis

renaming it works, when pressing ctrl + shift + esc it does completly nothing. If you ever need to use it though you can just put a shortcut on your desktop, quicklaunch or wherever so you can quickly open it when needed.

Edited by LegoLiam™

Thank you all for you input. I tried renaming the taskmgr.exe and it just magically re-appeared with it original name. So it got me thinking, if it cannot find the original file it recreates it, what happens if I remove the pupil permissions to the file so it still exists, it just can't run, and it worked.

To stop the stupid task manager is disabled message, just deny read permissions for the user to c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe and the message goes.

Thank you all for your help.

• 1 month later...

<_<

Why do you have to disable the task manager? It seems like something that you really should enable. If an application freezes, it's nice sometimes to be able to close it using the task manager. They've disabled it at my school, and let me tell you, it's very annoying and there is really no use in disabling it. What's the worse we can do? A regular user can't kill system processes or even processes running as a different user. Worst-case scenario they kill explorer and have to log in and log out since you undoubtedly disable the run dialog too.

:thumbdown