GeForce 9800 GTX specs - hopefully this is not true

Thunderbolt 2864

There's more money to be made when the products are affordable. Not many people buy the 9900SuperTurboUltraLE editions.
LE, as in "Last Edition" I hope, not Lite Edition... just found it funny :P.
:whistle: Limited Edition
Limited in what?, just messing around now but it already sounds like cars :).

Talk about confusing people. A new core and according to that article they're still going to use GeForce 9 series names? The NVIDIA engineers may know what they're doing, but the marketing department coming up with the names sure doesn't.

I think it's time they hold another competition to come up with a completely new name like they did for 'TNT' -> 'GeForce'. Since GT200 is supposed to be a completely new architecture now would be the time to do it.

The Ultra still pulls away at higher resolutions according to Anandtech. And when I mean high I am talking 1600p. Also if you turn on AA and AF you can see the Ultra still pull away. Kind of a disappointment as I wanted to get a 9800 gtx in SLI setup

Edited by suryad

A lot of people in other hardware forums are disappointed with the 9800 GTX. In my opinion, they should have called it the 8850 GTX or something similar. And this card doesn't even deserve the GTX brand if you asked me.

I really hope that GT200 will make up for this disaster.

A lot of people in other hardware forums are disappointed with the 9800 GTX. In my opinion, they should have called it the 8850 GTX or something similar. And this card doesn't even deserve the GTX brand if you asked me.

I really hope that GT200 will make up for this disaster.

Well said. I think they are following Intels tick tock strategy. One time will be a brand new architecture and the other release will be an architecture refresh. Thats what this seems to be like. I agree it does not deserve the 9800 gtx name.

One time will be a brand new architecture and the other release will be an architecture refresh. Thats what this seems to be like.

The problem with their current naming is that the GT200 is the new architecture...so it should be a new name. If the article linked above is to be believed, the GT200 will be released as 9900 series cards.

I won't say that the current 9800GTX shouldn't be a "GTX"...it just shouldn't be a 9800. It should've been an 8900GTX. I say 8900 because the G92 release of the 8800GT/GTX should've been 8850's. And the 9600GT should've been an 8700GT.

One time will be a brand new architecture and the other release will be an architecture refresh. Thats what this seems to be like.

The problem with their current naming is that the GT200 is the new architecture...so it should be a new name. If the article linked above is to be believed, the GT200 will be released as 9900 series cards.

I won't say that the current 9800GTX shouldn't be a "GTX"...it just shouldn't be a 9800. It should've been an 8900GTX. I say 8900 because the G92 release of the 8800GT/GTX should've been 8850's. And the 9600GT should've been an 8700GT.

Wont argue with you there! I agree with you.