Process cannot acces file because it is being used by another process

rats2

Hi,

I am new to the forum and to nlite. I have spent most of my spare time during the last two weeks trying to build an unattended Windows XP installation CD and have not moved past the third screen of nLite (Locating the Windows installation).

I have tried two computers and three OEM Windows XP recovery CDs and get the same error every time.

After I select the path to the Windows files and click "Ok" nLite finds the files and starts to process them, and then stops and gives this message:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

"The process cannot access the file 'C:\xxxx\xxxx.xxx' because the it is being used by another process."

I have closed every file, application and service I think I can close without affecting Windows' operation. I still get the same error message. Some times the file that cannot be accessed is different, but the rest of the message is always the same.

I have uninstalled nLite and reinstalled it using a newly downloaded fresh copy so many times I cannot count them. I get the same error mesage.

I have uninstalled Windows XP on one of the computers and reinstalled it using the OEM Recovery CD and get the same message.

I have Googled the web and found a lot of post for the same problem with other applications, but no answers. I have searched the forum without any luck.

Is there anyone out there that can help me solve this problem before I really loose it and do something really dumb?

Thanks.

Ok, I have run ProcessExplorer and it did not find any process using the file that cannot accessed. Each time I try to run nLite a different file cannot be accessed.

Any other suggestions?

Just some ideas: You have a virus, your hard disk or memory contains errors, your source is corrupted, your nLite installation is corrupted, et cetera. This seems to be a specific nLite problem though, so I would kindly advise you to ask a moderator to move your thread to the appropriate nLite section on this forum. You will be able to get more specific nLite help there.

LegoLiam and boooqqy,

Yes, I have an AV, and yes, I use Comodo Firewall. However, I have the same problem (error message) when I have the computer disconnected from the network and Comodo AV and FW are not running.

Does that help any?

Thanks

I have run virus scans and they do not find anything.

Edited by rats2