BUG SOLUTION: Event Log - Microsoft Terminal Services

SnapShot

Here is the solution for the well known problem of Terminal Service error appearing in the Event Log. The problem is in the following registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\ProviderOrder

If you remove RDPNP (I suppose RD in RDPNP means Remote Desktop) from this registry key, then the error in Event Log doesn't appear.

I didn't check this deeply but from the name of the key I assume the ProviderOrder key is used to cofigure the order of loading of some network components. The entries in ProviderOrder key are comma separated. For example my key value is: LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP. So if I leave only LanmanWorkstation the event doesn't appear in the log.

If we look at RDPNP registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\RDPNP

We will notice that RDPNP component actually loads %SystemRoot%\System32\drprov.dll. This drprov.dll looks like a remainant from Microsoft Terminal Services service.

It's properties:

post-122430-1203712071_thumb.png

I haven't checked this throughly, but I hope that nuhi will look at this, check any additional dependencies this remaining DLL has and fix this little bit anoying bug ;)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

SnapShot

Edited by SnapShot

Hi there:

Glad to see this reference here; it is one of the problems I have been experiencing as well.

One question though: If this exists in other Control Sets, should they also be changed?

In addition to Current Control Sets, I have ControlSet002, 003, 004.

Hope you can answer this for me.

Cheers :D

You mean the LocalSessionManager Event Log report?

I tried this now and unfortunately it did not solve that one. In case you do not see it immediately you have to wait 10 min.

Btw gonna keep this cleaned anyway, nice catch. I am quite cautions when it comes to the Terminal Server in Vista, it is used for the local user session as well...as far as I know.

Yes I'm talking about LocalSessionManager Event Log report. The report that appears every 10 minutes.

Well, you need to restart your system after you remove RDPNP refference. The driver is loaded at start up so you need to restart your system. I will check it again.