what percent am i suppose to ge getting

D_block

what percent am i suppose to getting from im initial log on cennection ? For instance on 56k modem, am i suppose to ge gettin 56kbs while surfing downloadind etc?

im connected via gprs at 460 kbps, my maxy download speed ever recordedis at 17+kbps :blink: is this quite normal or is my service provider limiting my speeds .

Is there anyway around this problems ? :unsure:

it's nearly impossible to get 56kbps while surfing. 56kbps = 7KB/s, so you should see throughput at less than 7KB/s on your dial-up connection.

for gprs, at 460kbps, you should be getting 57KB/s, so it's possible they're limiting your download speed

note that kilobits per second (kbps) does not equal kilobytes (KB/s). Take kilobits and divide by 8 and you'll get kilobytes.

so are you saying when downloading i should be able to get about 57kbps max :blink: on my 460kbps connec
for gprs, at 460kbps, you should be getting 57KB/s

note that kilobits per second (kbps) does not equal kilobytes (KB/s). Take kilobits and divide by 8 and you'll get kilobytes.

kbps <> KB/s :: The reason I bring that up is when you look at a download progress bar, they show the speed in KB/s which is not kbps. This way you have a more accurate representation.

if you use the 80% rule, that equates to 46KB/s on a 460kbps connection. So they might be limiting http or ftp traffic

Edited by rendrag

The reason for this, in a nutshell, is that TCP/IP has some overhead on the connection - if you've ever used other protocols in the past (like IPX, for instance), especially on non-ethernet or dialup (say, token ring :)) you see almost 100% saturation. TCP/IP gets you roughly 80% util, and less on an ethernet lan (although good 100/1000Mbit switches can offset that a bit).