Blocked access to a certain site

snurbleurk

In the last week or so I have suddenly become unable to access a specific site through my main PC although it is accessible using my old PC and my partners laptop.

I have searched a variety of fora and tried all of the suggestions without success. Checked MTU; downloaded latest router firmware; uninstalled and reinstalled AOL; reset IE to factory settings; cleared cache; flushed DNS etc etc etc....

All to no avail. This has become a total frustration - I am not so concerned about the individual site (annoying though it is to have to fire up separate machine just to access the site) - my greater concern is what happens if and when other sites are affected. The search results I have found illustrate that this is an alarmingly frequent and very frustrating issue for which a proper solution needs to be identified.

The only thing that did allow me to get through to the site was via the-cloak.com BUT I could not then interact with the site as needed.

the site is: my.axa.co.uk

Main PC is: Vista Home Premium; Intel Duo 6420; neither AOL 9.0 VR nor IE browser can access site (except thru cloaking as above)

Error page says: IE can not display the web page - on viewing source the window is labelled: dnserror

2nd PC is: XP SP2; Pentium 4; AOL 9.0 and IE can access site.

Laptop : XP SP2; AOL 9.0 and IE can access site

All are routed through ZOOM X6 router/DSL gateway via wireless; AOL is ISP.

Only big obvious difference between machines is Vista.

HELP!!!

(Tearing out what little hair I have remaining)

Not sure if you have tried this already:

Clear the cache (go to start>Control menu and look for internet options) and press Delete and delete all.

Then open a command window (Start > All programs> Accessories > Run - then type cmd)

You will see a "black window" in here type:

ipconfig /flushdns

press enter then

ipconfig /registerdns

and try again. These are the basics to try before going on further.

Thanks Bad Boy; I had already done all that but I repeated it just in case.

No joy situation is as was.

Cluberti - how do I disable IPv6 - I will try that to see what effect it has but I would far rather have the problem 'solved' - this PC was happily accessing this particular site for 9 months until just recently. Please advise how to disable IPv6.

Thanks

To disable ipv6 have a look here for instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

If that doesnt work then you can try the following (note: you may lose any network settings doing the below)

in the cmd window type:

netsh int ip reset c:\log.txt
netsh winsock reset

then reboot.

If that fails open up device manager, look for your NIC (usually under Network Adapters) right click and pick uninstall. Finally reboot and let windows install it for you. You may need your drivers so have this at hand before following this procedure.

In the last week or so I have suddenly become unable to access a specific site through my main PC although it is accessible using my old PC and my partners laptop.

Checked MTU; downloaded latest router firmware; uninstalled and reinstalled AOL; reset IE to factory settings; cleared cache; flushed DNS etc etc etc....

the site is: my.axa.co.uk

Error page says: IE can not display the web page - on viewing source the window is labelled: dnserror

I would start with empirical tests...

ping my.axa.co.uk on working machine - not to see if ping works, but to see what IPv4 address it resolves to.

Now ping the same address on the non-working machine - is it the same address?

If not, check out HOSTS and differences in DNS client settings.

If they are the same address, does the problem happen for every user logged onto the Vista machine?

i.e. determine if this is a user or machine issue

Bad Boy: neither of your suggestions has resolved the issue. I have yet to try the IPv6 thing.

Mr Snrub: ping www.my.axa.co.uk results:

on Vista machine (which can't access the site): Ping request could not find host www.my.axa.co.uk. Please check the name and try again

on XP machine (on which I can access the site through AOL 9.0): exactly the same!!!!

even though on the XP machine I had the site open fine!

Regarding the question about users on the Vista machine - there is only one user - myself.

curiouser and curiouser....

and no further forward sadly

I don't understand what 'check out HOSTS and DNS settings' means...

thanks to both for comments so far

Edited by snurbleurk

Mr Snrub: ping www.my.axa.co.uk results:

on Vista machine (which can't access the site): Ping request could not find host www.my.axa.co.uk. Please check the name and try again

on XP machine (on which I can access the site through AOL 9.0): exactly the same!!!!

even though on the XP machine I had the site open fine!

This would imply that the browsers are using a transparent web proxy... AOL use a big farm of proxy servers that all their users are dumped behind IIRC...
Regarding the question about users on the Vista machine - there is only one user - myself.
Possibly not an issue if it's not a DNS problem... but just for completeness it might be an idea to create a test user and see if they have the same issue.
I don't understand what 'check out HOSTS and DNS settings' means...
As both the XP and Vista clients are unable to resolve the IPv4 address, it's not a HOSTS or DNS problem, so you can skip that :)

Are the XP clients using IE7?

If the IPv6 disabling leads nowhere, we can look at using HTTP Fiddler to see what is different between the working and non-working clients:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks. No progress as yet.

In answer to the query both machines are running IE7.

I have now downloaded Fiddler but I have no idea what to do with it - I am experimenting and have watched the tutorial video.

This is what came up when I tried to access www.my.axa.co.uk

[Fiddler] 504 - HTTPS Connection failure: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 163.156.193.218:443

Timestamp: 11:52:32:2370

(BTW I created another user on the Vista machine and that also could not get into www.my.axa.co.uk)

Now then!! I have by chance found another site that will respond under AOL but will not respond under IE on the same (Vista) machine - I will have a look on old XP machine later.

As it happens on my own website there is an embedded access to www.amptracker.com

in AOL all is fine in IE Fiddler says:

HTTP/1.1 502 Fiddler - Connection Failed

Content-Type: text/html

Connection: close

Timestamp: 12:07:47:7380

[Fiddler] Connection to www.amptracker.com failed.<BR>Exception Text: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly

respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 67.207.135.76:80

In spite of the site being fully present in AOL.

my web site address is www.snurzurne.com (and it badly needs bringing up to date - but thats not the issue here)

?????

Edited by snurbleurk