one HDD,one partition,any issues?

Woomera

is it true that the files get corrupted or end up having similiar problems if you create one partiion in the size of the HDD?

i have done this with one of my HDD's and now it seems that i get many file corrupted errors...

Woomera,

Good Morning!

From DOS to Vista there's a lot to be said for having someplace to put your 'Stuff'.

(partition #2)

Let me use an analogy.....

You go to buy a new house and when you step inside the front door, you discover that there are no partitions in the house.

Even the crapper has NO walls. Where ya gonna put your stuff? And, what about a little privacy?

The good thing about that is that you can now put the walls (partitions) wherever you want them. :thumbup

I see a new computer like that house. I run chkdsk /f and then defrag to clean up and defragment the drive.

Then I run "Partition Magic 8" from a boot CD and create a new partition. I reset C: to about double the currently used space (but never less than 20 gigs) and D: for the rest of the available drive. If there's a restore partition, I leave it alone. I tell PM8 to set the new partition to FAT-32 for ease of access, even in DOS.

Now I have a place to store all my pictures, music, movies, ISO's, download files, ghost images, etc.

Even huge software suites like MS Office, can be made to install there, saving a lot of space in C:.

Also, a huge benefit is that when you do scans or defrag on C:, you're not dealing with those thousands of files, over and over again.

I suppose that this setup is not perfect for everyone, everywhere, but "It works for me!".

:hello:

Woomera,

Good Morning!

From DOS to Vista there's a lot to be said for having someplace to put your 'Stuff'.

(partition #2)

Let me use an analogy.....

You go to buy a new house and when you step inside the front door, you discover that there are no partitions in the house.

Even the crapper has NO walls. Where ya gonna put your stuff? And, what about a little privacy?

The good thing about that is that you can now put the walls (partitions) wherever you want them. :thumbup

I see a new computer like that house. I run chkdsk /f and then defrag to clean up and defragment the drive.

Then I run "Partition Magic 8" from a boot CD and create a new partition. I reset C: to about double the currently used space (but never less than 20 gigs) and D: for the rest of the available drive. If there's a restore partition, I leave it alone. I tell PM8 to set the new partition to FAT-32 for ease of access, even in DOS.

Now I have a place to store all my pictures, music, movies, ISO's, download files, ghost images, etc.

Even huge software suites like MS Office, can be made to install there, saving a lot of space in C:.

Also, a huge benefit is that when you do scans or defrag on C:, you're not dealing with those thousands of files, over and over again.

I suppose that this setup is not perfect for everyone, everywhere, but "It works for me!".

:hello:

thats not the answer to my question :ph34r::hello:

Maybe these explain further ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/Drive-letters-sh....html&st=28

http://www.msfn.org/board/Partitions-Prima...078#entry233078

About THE question:

is it true that the files get corrupted or end up having similiar problems if you create one partiion in the size of the HDD?

NO, it is not. :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz